Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

zink call help

Old 01-08-2008, 07:00 PM

Default zink call help

i was putting a friend's zink power maximus call on his new lanyard that i made for him, and it came apart. i can't seem to get the reed back into position so that it will blow properly. he's up in the moutains so i can't call him.... doesn't anyone have a photo of what the reed position should look like? thanks.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:28 PM

Default RE: zink call help

first ,why would you take the call apart to put the lanyard on?

Well a goose calll has three parts making up the "guts": the tone board, the wedge and the reed. Place the reed ontop of the tone board. Position the reed so that the very tip of the reed is right on the edge of the tone channel (make it as close as possible). when you push the reed down into the channel, it should not catch up on anything. If it makes a clicking noise, move it back a bit. One it is lined up perfectly, as close to the edge as possible, place the wedge on top of the tone board, with the thickest part of the wedge facing the front of the reed. On the toneboard, there should be a small slope to it. Place the front of the wedge right on that slope. Now hold the reed firmly to the toneboard with your thumb and index finger and slowly push it into the insert of the call. Push it until it is snug. Try calling it, if it is too low, push it in deeper for a higher pitched sound. I hope that helps
Old 01-08-2008, 08:16 PM

thanks. i got it on there ok. i just came to the conclusion that i can't blow that call worth a darn. also, i never said i took the call apart to put it on the lanyard. i said it came apart while i put it on the lanyard. i think someone was messing with it and didn't put it back together properly. might have been some of the little, curious hands that are around here.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:12 AM

ya thats what i dont understand, how would it come apart when you put it on the lanyard? to get to the guts, the call would have to seperate, then the guts would need to be pushed on for the tension to be released from the insert for them to fall out