HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   boat hunting in open water (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/225625-boat-hunting-open-water.html)

bigcountry 01-04-2008 10:32 AM

boat hunting in open water

Does anyone here hunt without a blind? I have a 14ft lowe that is sorta camo painted. But do not have a blind. A long time ago we used to hunt like this in the coves in the Cheasapeake bay. I remember the birds flareing alot. In the past few years, I have been hunting out of a bank blind, or my buddy had a avery on his Jon. But he sold it, so I figured I would use my boat.

Muliefever 01-04-2008 10:39 AM

RE: boat hunting in open water

Unless it is a very low profile boat. I think you are not going to fare to well! Just make a blind. The cost for a useable blind for your boat should not be expensive at all.

bigcountry 01-04-2008 10:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Muliefever

Unless it is a very low profile boat. I think you are not going to fare to well! Just make a blind. The cost for a useable blind for your boat should not be expensive at all.
Well, we have 3-4 weeks left. That sounds like a great idea for next year. But looking to go out this year.

TN Deer Hunter 01-04-2008 03:08 PM

I don't think you would do very well in a open boat. If I was in that situation I would get on the bank and cut some brush and take some zipties and add it to the the boat as good as possible filling the inside of it, standing it up on the sides of the boat and all around me where I was going to sit in the boat.

BigOrangeBowHntr 01-05-2008 11:41 AM

That's the way we use to hunt but finally realised a blind was the way to go try a Wileys Flex Blind they are way cheaper than the Avery and you can use it so many different ways.

bigcountry 01-07-2008 12:58 PM

Thanks for the comments

SwampTHING 01-07-2008 01:44 PM

Are you hunting divers? they arent the smartest birds around! If youve got some fast grass or something similar,, figure a waytoo lay it across the top of the boat and hanging over the sides.. Im sure youll get some shooting if you could figure a way too set something like that up.

bigcountry 01-07-2008 03:02 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampTHING

Are you hunting divers? they arent the smartest birds around! If youve got some fast grass or something similar,, figure a waytoo lay it across the top of the boat and hanging over the sides.. Im sure youll get some shooting if you could figure a way too set something like that up.
Actually we hunted scoters and divers from a white center console before. But this is mostly buffles, bluebills, and mallards.

I wonder if I can get some camo burlap and just lay it across us? I was wanting to go out a few times this week, but am sick as a dog right now.

Duckbuster612 01-08-2008 05:30 AM

keep your face covered...no movement...and maybe, JUST MAYBE you can get away with it...surf socter, we do it all the time, big white and blue aquasport and those things dont care

bigcountry 01-08-2008 08:58 AM

ORIGINAL: BigOrangeBowHntr

That's the way we use to hunt but finally realised a blind was the way to go try a Wileys Flex Blind they are way cheaper than the Avery and you can use it so many different ways.
Do you have a link to look at wileys flex blinds?