Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Do you eat Northern Shovelers? >

Do you eat Northern Shovelers?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Do you eat Northern Shovelers?

Old 12-31-2007, 02:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Do you eat Northern Shovelers?

I hear Northern Shovelers eat in pretty crummy places and may be unhealthy for human consumption. Is this true? What is your opinion. If it is just a matter of aesthetics, I'm going to eat this bird (at least this first time, I'm a quick learner) I shot this past weekend. If it is of questionable healthfulness to eat a Northern Shoveler (aka Spoonbill), I'm going to throw it out. What is your opinion?
Old 12-31-2007, 02:24 PM

Default RE: Do you eat Northern Shovelers?

I shot one in our earily season they taste like poo poo ,,I tried too even jerky it ,,,,nada still BAD. thats my 2 cents
Old 12-31-2007, 02:46 PM

we always refer to them as trash ducks, along with the mergansers.
Old 01-01-2008, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Alsatian

I hear Northern Shovelers eat in pretty crummy places and may be unhealthy for human consumption. Is this true? What is your opinion. If it is just a matter of aesthetics, I'm going to eat this bird (at least this first time, I'm a quick learner) I shot this past weekend. If it is of questionable healthfulness to eat a Northern Shoveler (aka Spoonbill), I'm going to throw it out. What is your opinion?

it is true. i live in california and was looking at fish and games website and they had aconsumption advisory for ducks in the county i grew up in. the advisory suggested not to eat morethan 4 oz. of sertain birds in a two week period due to parasites
Old 01-02-2008, 03:12 AM
Spike

i usually make jerky outta my divers and trash ducks as some call em..
Old 01-02-2008, 06:22 PM

thats bull$hit i eat quite a few they are good u just gta know how to cook
Old 01-02-2008, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

I don't shoot divers because I don't care for the way they taste. If you question if they're safe to eat or not check with your local parks and wildlife department.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:31 PM

just depends where u live, they are just like carp
Old 01-02-2008, 06:40 PM

It depends on where you hunt and where the ducks have been. If it has been sittin on the rivers and ponds and so forth it is going to be very strong but if it has been sitting and eating out of flooded grain fields and so forth for a while it will not be as strong.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Most of the ones that I have taken have been off the playa lakes in West Texas. Some of the tanks were near old mines (copper, iron, salt). They've all been in the central flyway.

The puddle ducks from the same ponds and areas were fine. We have no way of knowing how long they'd been on the ponds/rivers, etc or even in the area. The geese have been fine too.

I stopped shooting divers all together as a result. Used to make my old dog so mad, "it's a duck, shoot it!"

Quick Reply: Do you eat Northern Shovelers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.