HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Do you eat mergansers? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/224417-do-you-eat-mergansers.html)

paulyseggs 12-27-2007 04:30 AM

Do you eat mergansers?

Had another nice day out yesterday. Shot a few mergansers, BIL got some too and another hen mallard. Shoulda had a goose. It came outta nowhere. Landed in the spread then wouldn't fly!Oh well. Let it go for another day.

Anyways. My BIL said the mergs tasted crappy. But I hate not eating something I harvested. So I go home clean the mallard. Goto clean my first merg and the smell overtakes me. Something along the lines of tunacan water and swamp muck. The meat looked like beef liver (which I like) but I got through it and their in the freezer (boned out).

Any tips or suggestions? or am I in for a "Real Treat"

I gotta a feeling they'll taste like they smell.

bowfisherman 12-27-2007 05:58 AM

RE: Do you eat mergansers?

In pa we are not supposed to eat them because of pollution. Also they are fish eaters so they won't be very good. Like you said they smell terrible

Carpmaster 12-27-2007 06:24 AM

If you like liver you may like them!

Colorado Luckydog 12-27-2007 06:51 AM

We don't shoot 'em, but if one is shot, it's coyote food!

kingvjack 12-27-2007 10:34 AM

I don't eat em...[:o]

fishm@n 12-27-2007 02:29 PM

We lovingly call them fishf#cks... You are what you eat.

rbduck 12-27-2007 03:40 PM

In Manitoba, the only time we eat them is after they have spent at least a month eating wildrice. Then they are pretty good.

Ron:D

Carpmaster 12-27-2007 04:11 PM

ORIGINAL: rbduck

In Manitoba, the only time we eat them is after they have spent at least a month eating wildrice. Then they are pretty good.

Ron,

Dont fib I know you canucks get enough yummy grain fed honkers and plump mallards you'd never shoot a poopy mergie! Heck andy and his bunch even call widgies and teal Sheeit ducks and teal are one of my favs!;)

rbduck 12-27-2007 04:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

ORIGINAL: rbduck

Ron,

Dont fib I know you canucks get enough yummy grain fed honkers and plump mallards you'd never shoot a poopy mergie! Heck andy and his bunch even call widgies and teal Sheeit ducks and teal are one of my favs!;)

uh.....it`s just a rumour;)

johnch 12-27-2007 06:35 PM

I turn them into SPICY snack sticks
The mix I use will cover the taste of divers and Merg's

Have to do something with them , when your buddys think they are Woodies and shoot them

John