Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Do you eat mergansers?

Old 12-27-2007, 07:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you eat mergansers?

ORIGINAL: johnch

I turn them into SPICY snack sticks
The mix I use will cover the taste of divers and Merg's

Have to do something with them , when your buddys think they are Woodies and shoot them

John
The predawn woody look alikes or hoodies actually taste MUCH better than the rest of their so called family!
Old 12-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

CROCK POT MERGANSER

1 Merganser, plucked and gutted (save the heart and gizzard for a special treat)
3 cups water
3 beef bullion cubes
2 tbls. Worchestire Sauce, Lee & Perrins preferably
2 garlic cloves, crushed
3 tsp salt
2 tbls liquid smoke
1 old leather boot

Combine all ingredients in crock pot, cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Remove from crock pot and eat boot.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Or eat crock-pot!
Old 12-27-2007, 08:35 PM
Spike

No I don't like my fish with feathers on them. In my hunting circle anything but mallards and pintails are trash ducks! The signal when hunting is raise both hands like a football offical signalling touchdown.
Old 12-28-2007, 04:01 AM
Fork Horn

Spicy snack sticks..... That something I was thinking about. Or blending th meat with everything in a very large batch of chopped meat jerky..

They were fun to shoot though. Fast lil buggars.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:11 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paulpskp

No I don't like my fish with feathers on them. In my hunting circle anything but mallards and pintails are trash ducks! The signal when hunting is raise both hands like a football offical signalling touchdown.
Man don't pass up on the wood ducks and teal. Those are the best eating..
Old 12-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

You guys must not know how to cook. Of course down in Louisiana we'll eat anything and we know how to cook.I don't make a habit of shooting mergansers, but the Hooded Merganser tastes just fine. I can't say the same thing about Common and Red breasted Mergansers. Put them in gumbo and you'll never know the difference. BTW, Teal are the best eating in my opinion .
Old 12-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: paulyseggs

Spicy snack sticks..... That something I was thinking about. Or blending th meat with everything in a very large batch of chopped meat jerky..

They were fun to shoot though. Fast lil buggars.

take my word for it DO NOT MAKE JERKY OUT OF **** DUCKS nothing in the world can take the **** taste away
Old 12-29-2007, 08:11 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: paulyseggs

Had another nice day out yesterday. Shot a few mergansers, BIL got some too and another hen mallard. Shoulda had a goose. It came outta nowhere. Landed in the spread then wouldn't fly!Oh well. Let it go for another day.

Anyways. My BIL said the mergs tasted crappy. But I hate not eating something I harvested. So I go home clean the mallard. Goto clean my first merg and the smell overtakes me. Something along the lines of tunacan water and swamp muck. The meat looked like beef liver (which I like) but I got through it and their in the freezer (boned out).

Any tips or suggestions? or am I in for a "Real Treat"

I gotta a feeling they'll taste like they smell.

rockyshamrock
well i never shoot any thing i wont eat and i learned my lesson along time ago. i wouldn't shoot a merganser unless i was going to put it on the wall. wouldn't eat one tried it and will never do that again. but I'm glad to see your going to try it . that way you will see for yourself. I'm not picking on anyone just me if i wont eat it i wont shoot it.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:59 AM

PUPPY CHOW! lol cook em up for the pooch, he's in for a treat....note lawn darts taste like the bottom of your bay

Quick Reply: Do you eat mergansers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.