HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   winglock high voltage (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/224363-winglock-high-voltage.html)

bowfisherman 12-26-2007 07:13 PM

winglock high voltage

anyone have one of these? sounds pretty good on the site and its in my price range. I am new to short reeds but want a decent one for around 100 bucks or less. I played with some 20 dollar calls but I think they sounded like crap. No where around here to try any high end calls.

mike2355 12-26-2007 08:07 PM

RE: winglock high voltage

it probably wasnt the calls that sounded like crap.. not to put you down or anything, but pretty much every call sounds basically the same. A high end call wont make you sound like a high end caller. You can do the same notes on a poly carb call. Sure the acrylic sounds more crisp and loud, but you can sound like a goose with a cheap poly carb also. First, i reccomend you get some instructional cds (if you dont have any yet) and practice with them until you are a better caller. Then once you sound good (might take a long time) then move up to the acrylic. I am in no way trying to be a dick or anything, just letting you know, that an acrylic call will sound like crap also, if you dont know how to blow a short reed call. I reccomend honker talk, its a instructional dvd, and also scott thrienen's bad grammer and craig mcdonalds 100% all goose. Just remember, practice, practice and more practice. Once you are starting to get sick of practicing, practice some more. Practice the basics, the cluck, moan and honk. Then once you mastered those, keep practicing them until you can do them without even thinking. Mix them up a bit and then move on to difficult notes. Dont try to go to fast with your learning. I hope this helps you. Im not trying to pursuade you away from a high end call, just saying that you can call with a poly carb as well. Once you are good at it, then get a high end one and you will be happier with it and notice the difference, unlike you would right now. You may get discouraged if you buy one now and realise its not a magic call and wont make you a excellent caller overnight.

bowfisherman 12-26-2007 08:21 PM

Nope, the calls sounded like crap. I have used my friends sean manns and zinks that sound good.

mike2355 12-26-2007 08:58 PM

maybe they are just not tuned right for you. How friends call could be tuned, higher or lower than your calls. Who knows. I dont have a winglock. I have a gk canuck and a foiles high plains honker. The gk is my go to call.

CanadaSlammer69 01-03-2008 02:59 PM

i have one and love it. i got mine at the DU festival in oshkosh and the guys who make em were right there to tune it for me. its a sweet sounding call for a sweet price

inhuntr 01-03-2008 07:03 PM

The guy who makes them is Rick Perry. People on the fuge have nothing but good things to say about him. He is a real nice guy. Do not hesitate to buy a call from him. I have looked into buying a call from him but there is another call that I have my eye on right now.