Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Late Season - Good Eyes or Call Shy? >

Late Season - Good Eyes or Call Shy?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Late Season - Good Eyes or Call Shy?

Old 12-26-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Late Season - Good Eyes or Call Shy?

We went out last Sunday to one of our spots that usually has ducks willing to decoy up.. We couldn't get any ducks in close even with wind and rain. We had setup on a small pond with minimal brush and were we just laying down on the bank in our camoamongst some brush but by no means covered up. We try not to look at ducks (no camo on our faces) when they are flying over.. I think the ducks were spotting our forms on the bank.. one of my buddies thinks because he's wearing camo that nothing including ducks can see him. He thinks it is more due to the lateness of the season and they are getting call shy. We typically call only when they are going away from us with quacks and hails.

I think those quackers have better eyesight than some people (at least him) give them credit for..

I did get a tiny green wing Teal jump shooting right before dark, or we'd have been skunked.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Late Season - Good Eyes or Call Shy?

Probably a little of both. This late in the season they've been hunted for several weeks now and they've pretty much seen, and heard it all.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:17 AM

Default RE: Late Season - Good Eyes or Call Shy?

As much as I hate to believe it, sometimes it just ain't gonna work.

Bugs me to no end while goose hunting. we may get well over half of all flying flocks to at least work us, and limit out, but that doesn't do it for me. "Why didn't they ALL work us?"

Still haven't found THAT answer.

OH, your question: I think that improper concealment is often the #1 reason for not killing birds.