Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
Can to many decoys hurt Decoying... >

Can to many decoys hurt Decoying...

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Can to many decoys hurt Decoying...

Old 01-29-2003, 07:34 PM

Default Can to many decoys hurt Decoying...

hello i need some help Waterfowl hunters.
I hunt a river.
And would it hurt me to put out like 200 decoys or is this to many deks for a river. Please helme out
Thanks for the help yall
Old 01-30-2003, 12:44 AM

Default RE: Can to many decoys hurt Decoying...

Well, good question! You must remember that you have to leave some room so the birds can land. I alway like to set up and leave some open room for the birds to land in.
Old 01-30-2003, 02:06 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-01-2003, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

Hey Room..I do alot of snow goose hunting on the water and Fields..with snow geese you never can have enough..remember snows travel,feed,Roost in big groups sometimes 500 or more..so they feel more comforable with more of their kind..Most guys don't put alot of decoys on the water ,because of weight on their boats and expense..but the rule is..the more the better...when it comes to snow geese...and being sucessful...but..if your in the right spot..and you know the geese are using that part of the water.Nothing uh matter with setting up 4to5 dozen..i just would'nt use any less then that. [email protected]

Edited by - Honkers on 02/01/2003 13:59:32
Old 02-09-2003, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with Hothuntndogs. Depending on how big the river is, I would only set 5 or 6 dozen.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

If your river is more than 35 feet wide and not rapid water,put all those dekes out. I have seen thousands of ducks crowd into a river 2 feet deep and about 40 feet wide. Just leave them a place to land and you will be ok. I would say,depending on your specific setup, setup 2 large groups with a spot in between the 2 groups as a landing zone.

Without passion.....Why bother?
Old 02-21-2003, 07:36 PM

Try it!

I' ve had great shooting on small sloughs using up to 200. Then again I' ve had good luck in the same places with less. Many factors besides #s. I think it helps to give the birds a natural look above all else. Use it if they might see that many real birds. Don' t use it if every other hunter in the area is doing the same.
Old 02-24-2003, 04:57 AM

I hunt the Missouri River quite often for ducks, and it has been my experience this past year that only 3 or 4 decoys did alot better job pulling in ducks, than several dozen. It must be something to the effect of the ducks are getting more and more used to large groups of decoys, or, maybe they think they are a little more secluded when finding a smaller group of ducks. I don' t know really either way, and when the duck tells me straight from his mouth, the secret will be out. But until then, I will have to keep carrying several dozen out to the blind, that way, it is better to have them and not need them, than to need them and not have them.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:27 PM

good question but whenever I hunt I use 1-2 dozen decoys. The best year I ever had, I killed 300 ducks just huntin on the weekends, we used 6 decoys.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

i will tell you 200 is alot i think. how many guys you hunting with? the max decoys i have used is about 18. but we also had 20 some goose decoys as well set up. basicaly all that i have been tought is what hothuntndogs said.
leave some open room for the birds to land in
i would say got room for em to land and set them up the way they should be and it shouldnt matter.

Quick Reply: Can to many decoys hurt Decoying...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.