HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Need advice on duck and goose hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/223231-need-advice-duck-goose-hunting.html)

ihunt1975 12-18-2007 04:17 PM

Need advice on duck and goose hunting

Okay, I'm a deer hunter wanting to waterfowl hunt. I'll tell you what I have and you tell me if there is hope. I have 2 40 acre corn field 3/4 mile from open lake with 5000 or so Canadas, 1500-2000 of which were in my 2 40 acre fields this morning. I also have a 120 acre bean stubble field 300 yards from the lake. There is tons of foot prints in the snow and I saw probably 500 mallards tonight circling the lake. Now this is the bad part. I have 1 dozen mallard decoys and 25 2 liter and milk jugs painted primer grey with black tops. Decoys are on order. Is there any chance of luring them in without just pass shooting. I have an ultimag and I can kill them out to 40 yards. Pass shooting in past tells me this. Is there any other homemade contraption I can make temporarily. Thanks.

GeneRagulsky 12-19-2007 08:29 AM

RE: Need advice on duck and goose hunting

I say use what you have. You will kill more birds being out in the field then you will sitting behind the computer wondring what it takes. :D

You could use black trash bags, but once the sun is up they will have way to much reflection.

Also, until your new decoys arrive, you will probably not be able to finish birds, meaning they will not commit to landing. Just like with deer or turkey, if you can get them close enough, you should be alright.

Good luck and happy hunting!!!!!!!!!

JoeA 12-19-2007 03:28 PM

I was going to tell you DON'T DO IT!!!! You'll be addicted, but it seems you've already taken the plunge...(see the post by paulyseggs)

As for spicing up your decoy spread; place a few real geese (that you've dropped earler that moring) amongst what you have. Just make sure to place them rightside up, with the wings folded along the body. They may not look too pretty, but they do look like real geese, 'cause well they are....

Good luck, happy holidays and have fun.

paulyseggs 12-19-2007 04:51 PM

JoeA thats a good tidbit about using the dead geese. Thanks!

You hit the nail on the head in my post too.

deerhunter518 12-19-2007 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: JoeA

I was going to tell you DON'T DO IT!!!! You'll be addicted, but it seems you've already taken the plunge...(see the post by paulyseggs)

As for spicing up your decoy spread; place a few real geese (that you've dropped earler that moring) amongst what you have. Just make sure to place them rightside up, with the wings folded along the body. They may not look too pretty, but they do look like real geese, 'cause well they are....

Good luck, happy holidays and have fun.

good idea i never thought of that :eek:

AR 34 eight point 12-20-2007 01:22 AM

Shoot me an invite and I will bring the rest of what you need:D:DI would be happy to help you out;)