Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Goose ????

Old 12-13-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Goose ????

I'm pretty green at this goose thing but, I have had good luck the last 2 hunts patterning the local pop and setting up in the field they are using. This weekend they are calling for snow. Will this affect the geese a lot? Do they still fly while it is snowing? Will they use the fields after it snows or do they head south?

thanks
RBBH
Old 12-13-2007, 04:39 PM
Spike

Default RE: Goose ????

The answer to your question is yes,no,maybe. The geese probably won't head south just over some snow. As long as they can find food and open water they will hang around. Hunting in the snow can be a blast, dress warm use white camo or bedsheets for hiding in, a white face mask works well also. Scout your field the day and night before you hunt to make sure they are still using your field. If it's real cold they don't fly at daylight sometimes not until the late morning but they need to eat. Keep the snow off your decoys and calling helps. Shoot well.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

They will still fly....big question is will they still want to be there??? You never know until it happens....#1 factor in killing geese is being where they want to be.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paulpskp

The answer to your question is yes,no,maybe. The geese probably won't head south just over some snow. As long as they can find food and open water they will hang around. Hunting in the snow can be a blast, dress warm use white camo or bedsheets for hiding in, a white face mask works well also. Scout your field the day and night before you hunt to make sure they are still using your field. If it's real cold they don't fly at daylight sometimes not until the late morning but they need to eat. Keep the snow off your decoys and calling helps. Shoot well.
This is the answer of a seasoned goose hunter! Take his advice and try to learn from it!
Old 12-14-2007, 06:24 AM

Thanks guys, great info. I guess I will see what happens sat a.m.

RBBH
Old 12-14-2007, 10:35 AM

i noticed around here, the snow makes the geese crazy and want in fields alot. I hunt jack miner geese which usually know where they want to be, at the pile of corn awaiting at the jack miner sanctuary. Well, we hunt in a field not far from the roost. This morning we saw at least 3000+ geese flying by, mostly along the lake, not over our field, but we get the few flocks which come by. Well when it snows, the geese fly low, and want in fields as they would rather not fly further (30 minute or so frive to jack miners) so they settle with what they can get. So tonight and tomorrow its supposed to snow and we are antsy as hell to get after them tomorrow. Hopefully we can bring some more down.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:41 AM

good luck, we too are going to try tomorrow a.m..
Old 12-14-2007, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RiverBottomBowHunter

good luck, we too are going to try tomorrow a.m..
Knock 'em dead and the best of luck to you. I'll be working, but I have a great spot for Sunday Am! Post up some pics when your done, and always remember, birds are not call shy. If calling doesn't work...CALL HARDER!