Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

new to waterfowl

Old 12-10-2007, 05:14 PM

Default new to waterfowl

hey guys, I'm thinkin about gettin involved in duck/waterfowl hunting. It looks like a lot of fun but I dont know what to look for in calls, chokes, loads, etc.. any help?
Old 12-11-2007, 01:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: new to waterfowl

Not sure I can help a whole lot, but there is a tun of information in this forum. If you know someone with calls blow them and see if you like them. For goose I would suggest a flute call for a new caller and CD's to learn how to blow them. Chokes, I think most would say modified, shot BB for goose, 2-4 for ducks, and what ever you can afford in brand of shells. I cant hit crap so I use the cheaper shells. Decoys are expensive, Hot Buys are normaly good priced and hold up well. I have big foot and gh goose floaters that I am very happy with.

Look at the other threads and form your own opinion. I am new to this too, so correct me if I am wrong
Old 12-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

One of the beauties of duck hunting is it can be as cheap as you want or as expensive as you want. I do well hunting over a dozen hot buys in walk in areas. Modified chokes work well for most applications.

What type of Hunting are you looking to do?
Where are you located?

Throw some more detail out there!

Old 12-11-2007, 11:01 AM

Be very very carefull, because waterfowling is addictive. Most of my free time and mone goes twords chasing ducks and geese.Get ca couple cheep calls, start practicinig. Then start looking into public land to walk into.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:44 PM

carp, i live in arkansas.. with access to duck hunting around stuttgart and monticello... i'll be hunting ducks mostly. i'm not a member of any clubs, dont have any blinds or anything like that, so i'm really starting from nothing. my uncle used to duck hunt and i've always wanted to try it, just never had the time.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:07 PM

Duck hunting is like crack.....very expensive and very addictive Thats how i describe it, You can be top of the line, all the newest latest gear, brand new gun, new call, expert blind and not shoot a duck the entire seasonor you can be a lone wolf and walk in with 3 dekes, a gun, and a call and bag limits, its all how you aproach it. Me, i like to keep things simple and sit by myself for the last hour of the day and kill a puddle duck or two. Good luck though, try to tag along with some one and dont be afraid to ask questionsShoot em Up
Old 12-11-2007, 06:22 PM

yup its addicting bro, i got into it last year after deer hunting and upland game hunting for a few years. Im hooked on it now and love it more than anything. I have spent my fair share of cash to get into it and it has paid off buying my own gear etc. Read up as much as you can on it, find what works for some guys and what doesnt work. Learn about decoy spreads, reading how the birds react etc. Also scout and find where the birds are and where they are feeding. Id say, get a dozen of each:goose and duck decoys. I have a dozen goose full bodies so far, a half dozen full body ducks for the field, and about 3 dozen floater duck deeks. Also find out what you will be doing more, field hunting, lake, ponds etc? For fields, look into a layout blind. Get a cheap goose call and duck call and some cds. I reccomend bad grammer by scott thrienen for geese, 100% all goose by craig mcdonald, and the dvd honker talk, and for ducks, check out a few sites like callingducks.com. Once you get into it, your hooked. I was hooked before i even shot my first duck and goose. Ive been doing decent this year (my first full season) with about a dozen ducks (3 bands) and 3 geese (i havent been going hunting as much as id like due to not having spots to go) but its fun man. Trust me, once you get into it, you either love it and get hooked or its just not for you. Most likely youll be hooked. Good luck
Old 12-12-2007, 12:04 PM

hey thanks guys.. I live by a creek and have several ponds on the property, and I've seen my fair share of ducks on the ponds.. just never got around to hunting them.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Man you dont need much IMHO....just spend some time outdoors, and have fun. Learning by doing is the best way!
Old 12-16-2007, 07:55 PM

hey, im 14 yrs. old and im new to duck hunting. i deer and turkey hunt but this is my 1st year duck hunting. so i need some help. I live in claxton, georgia and i have a swamp/creek deep in the woods on my property and i've seen ducks back there before while riding 4 wheelers, but if i want to go hunting do i walk or sit down and call them like you would a turkey??? if you do call them what kind of calls do you use?
Thanks...

Quick Reply: new to waterfowl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.