Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

New gun time.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default New gun time.

OK, as a rule in my family... everyone is an 870 fanatic. I currently shoot a Mossjunk835 for ducks and geese. I really don't like it.... It being christmas, I ussually get some cash, I can also trade in the 835 and an old side by side 20 guage that I don't shoot anymore...
I should be able to afford a new gun....
I really want a semi auto, I've never even shot one... I can operate a pump just as fast as my buddies can in the bling...
So, 11-87 at Dick's is 580.00
The Stoeger semi is 470.00, but its only a 3 inch...
Is not being able to load 3.5's in the gunreason enough to get the cheaper stoeger? Plus, the Stoegers action is alot smoother.
both guns fit really well... but I love pounding geese with 3.5 BBs....
Old 12-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New gun time.

If you want a reasonably priced 3.5" 12 gau
Look at a Rem SPR 453

Hands down better than the 11/87 ( I own both )

After I did the break in as directed
I can leave it set for 3.5" shells and it cycles 2 3/4" trap loads perfictly

I huntand shoot more than most guys
I have cleaned it 1 time this season
Other than shaking it back in forth under water to remove most of the mud , after droping it in the muck
And I have not had 1 failure to feed or work

John
Old 12-08-2007, 09:27 PM

try a mossberg 935 i use it and its great i forgot how much it is but its the cats meow!!!
Old 12-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

For a reasonable auto the rems are nice and the 935 is pretty decent for a hunting rig, doesnt shoot 2 3/4 loads worth a poo but handles well and requires a cleaning every 100 shots or else...

The SBEII is hard to beat if you are sure the auto is your thing.

I dont mind shooting 3" shells for anything, just limit your range, work on decoying and calling skills and you will be fine!
Old 12-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have an 835 and I hate it... so the 935 is probably out. I almost threw it in the lake last year when my wooden dowel plug shrapneled and turned my piece into a single shot gun.
I can't really afford the SBEII even though I would generally pawn mt sister for one right now....
Old 12-09-2007, 05:57 PM

If you buy an 11-87 you will never regret it. I own one and I absolutley love it. The 3 and 1/2 inch will run you more than 580 though. They are extremely low recoil and reliable. They also are a breeze to take apart and clean. Gas ports get dirty quick in all gas guns and you may eventually have to replace a 2 dollar O ring.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have not seen the 3.5" 1187s for much under $900... and it is $900 poorly spent in my experience. The supermags I have had contact with have not functioned well with any shells at all, of any length. The 3" models do much better. The SPR 453 is a hit or miss operation. I have seen some that will go like hell with whatever you feed them and some that were so poorly made that they wouldn't even assemble. Half (and I mean litterally, not figuratively half) of the ones our shop sold came back, went back and never came back.

Jack you don't need a 3.5 shell for anything. You don't get any more range out of one either. All you get is more pellets and less money. And of course more noise and recoil. Most of the guys in my club who shoot 3.5" shells can't shoot very well, and they think the reason is because 2 3/4 or 3" shells cannot kill ducks at decoy or close passing distances. The reality is they just can't shoot. A big part of that may be linked to the fact that they are getting slammed with recoil everytime they pull the trigger and have developed a flinch that is making them stop their swing. Just some food for thought.

One other bit of advice.... when it comes to semi-automatic duck hunting shotguns.... you get what you pay for.... don't expect a Lexus when you pay for a Kia.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:33 PM

Well,
Othershave their opinions, which make sense and I respect, and I have mine. I personally wouldn't buy a gun that isn't capable of shooting everything - (2 3/4 ; 3 ; 3 1/2). You just never know what you're gonna be using in the future. Have you ever had cripples down and a buddy handed you a shell real quick? What if it's a 3 1/2? My circle of friends may be the only ones who do that, so maybe that doesn't make much sense to people.

I also like shooting high speed loads - I shoot KentFassteel3 1/2" 1 1/4oz. #1's. They load you up on way too much powder - those loads area sinto be that dirty, but they leave the gun like a bat out of hell and put down ducksAND geese with the quickness - I shoot an 870 so I don't care how dirty they are. They're just what I'm comfortable with and I'm ok with thembeing 3 1/2.

By the way, Ijust looked up a 3.5" 1187 online andI think you bettercheck that price you found - they're$900+ from what I've seen.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/rem_1187.html
Old 12-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: chaselton

If you buy an 11-87 you will never regret it.
i would have to disagree. unless you buy a 3" model, you willregret the 3.5" model, if it even lasts. 3" the 1187 is fine by their 3.5 are junk. you would be better off looking for a used sx2, gold, or silver for what you are wanting to spend. or you could just save for the xtrema II or sbe II, both are excellent guns
Old 12-11-2007, 05:46 PM

One of my hunting buddies has had one fora few years now and it has preformed flawlessly. The 3.5s will be just fine if you clean the gas ports and check your O ring on a regular basis. Coming from an 870 man I'm suprised to hear you say they 11-87 3.5 is junk

Quick Reply: New gun time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.