Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Duck Boats??

Old 11-01-2007, 06:53 AM

Default Duck Boats??

Well, me and my dad just bought a 14 ft aluminum boat. Its pretty nice with a 25 horse on the back...anyway i was wondering if you guys who own jon boats or aluminum skiffs think. Welded or Rivited and why? Thanks
Old 11-01-2007, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Duck Boats??

Congratulations on the new boat. I also have a 14 ft john boat with a 25 hp motor. Mine is a Lowe Big John and it is riveted. I got the riveted one because, at the time, I couldn't afford an all-welded boat.I have heard some guys say that welded boats push through ice better and don't "creak or squeak", but myboat has absolutely never leaked and it doesn't"squeak" or perform differently in any other way than a welded boat. I make this comparison because I have hunted and fished out of my friend's welded 16-ft, 40-hp, War Eagle. I know there are probably some different opinions and experiences out there, but in my opinion and experience, my welded boat has been fine. So to directly answer your question, my decisionto gowith a welded boat wasbased on the price difference. Good luck.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:59 AM

i do a lot of my hunting and fishing out of my 17 foot wareagle and i cant say enough about it. it is welded so it is virtually unbreakable and with the surface they adhered to it you dont slip around in it at all and its as quiet as fiberglass. i'm sure a good riveted boat gets the job done but it sure is hard to beat welded.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

I'm an idiot. I apologize. What I was trying to say in my previous reply was that I have a RIVETED boat and my decision to purchase a RIVETED boat was based on price.

mjensen, I agree with you, those War Eagles are incredible boats and welded is definitely the way to go if you can afford it.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:52 PM
Fork Horn

I have a 20' Lund Alaskan with a 115hp, they are rivited boats. Its a great boat, I go out when the weather is bad with no problems. I did a lot of sea duck hunting in Maine and you want a good boat for the big water. So far it has been ok on the bay, the lack of water sucks.
Old 11-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rivets= Leaks! Eventually rivets will leak, and they are no where close in strength to a all welded boat.

However, I believe if you are a smart boater, and take care of your boat you will have a lifetime of trouble free use.
Old 11-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Fork Horn

Muliefever,
Had two guys go out hunting this morning, set up and anchored there boat(in the dark) when the sun came up it was half way across the bay. They had to walk to there truck with all there gear.

I put whippings on my anchor lines today...I dont want to have the same problem.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:20 AM

I have owned bothI had a 1648 Polar Kraft that was riveted and it worked well but I love my Triton.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:14 AM

Thanks guys, i painted it last night and it looks prety cool, the engine looks like it has tiger stipe camo the the green berets wore in Veitnam lol ill try to get some pics
Old 11-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

What did you use for paint. My boat has some camo clad on it, to do the rest is going to cost a bit. I was looking at the kit from cabelas that comes with the stencils but is it worth 100$

Quick Reply: Duck Boats??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.