Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

anyone use one of these?

Old 10-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default anyone use one of these?

I was just wondering if anyone else uses this gun for waterfowling besides me. I have used pumps and autos of several kinds but still go back to the old stand by. I have been shooting this gun since I was a young child so I guess I am very familiar with it. Most of the time I do not even remember aiming it. I just pull up and shoot, almost like an extension of my arm. So far this fall I have taken 11 greenhead mallards, 2 hen mallards, 16 woodducks, 5 greenwing teal, 2 bluewing teal, 3 ringnecks, 1 bufflehead, 2 redheads, 1 blackduck, 4 bluebills, 4 coot , and 14 canadian geese using this old gun. In case some of you are not familiar with it, it is an Ithaca model 66 super single.
http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p145/slabslayr/?action=view&current=waterfowl2007003-3.jpg
Old 10-31-2007, 09:39 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: anyone use one of these?

My first gun I brought in the blind with my dad and brothers was a hand-me-down Peters single shot. Taught me how to make the shot count...until I got old enough to buy my own guns and bought pumps and repeaters.

Wonder where that gun is now?...

Old 10-31-2007, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I learned with a Savage 20g single shot. Had a 22cal on top. Deffinately had to learn to make every shot count!
Old 11-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Spike

i have a single shot 10 ga. but since i got my 11-87 super mag 3 1/2 not much use for it any more ammo is too pricey
Old 11-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

Wow total flashback !! I used one for 2 or 3 seasons in a 3"20ga it was an awsome relearning tool for me it was all I could afford to shoot steel in .
Old 11-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Typical Buck

what kind of gun is that? i got a handmedown, from when my dad was a kid, its an iver johnson champion single 20ga. but i use my 870 now.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:06 PM

I actually started with a bolt-action savage that had been my grandfathers. i think a break apart single is even faster than that!