HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Goose Calls (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/213994-goose-calls.html)

ssrenegade 10-25-2007 06:28 AM

Goose Calls

I have read all of the posts in the last thread about Goose calls as well as a thread on another site and I need some help. I have blown into a few calls - some inexpensive and some not so cheap and they all sound terrible. I listened to the instruction tape that came with one of them that I purchased but it still sounds nothing like a goose. I know I can not carry a tune and am tone deaf as concrete but if you show me the key I can play a note on a piano so why can't a call work right out of the box?

Therefore where do I go to purchase a call and get it tuned so that when I blow it goose souinds come out. I can work on cadence and sequence when the sound is correct.

Do I go to a hunting show? Big box stores were no help. I do not know of a mom and pop around my vicinity that could help. Money is not the issue, I want a call that sounds like a goose when I blow into it. This should not be that hard.

Thanks for your help.

Frank

DuckHuntin247 10-25-2007 07:59 PM

RE: Goose Calls

So basically what your saying, is that you want someone to tune the call for you in a way that allows for your tone deafness and inability to carry a tune? That might be hard to do ... maybenotyour taking enough time to test the call out. It's very hard to just pick up a call you are unfamiliar with and just start "making goose sounds come out." Practice is the only way you'll get any better. Calls do need to be tuned once in a while but rarely directly out of the box. Practice, practice, practice and pretty soon you'll be making goose sounds come out left and right. ;)

Colorado Luckydog 10-26-2007 07:30 AM

Spending one afternoon with a good caller will make all the difference. If you know someone that is a good caller offer to buy them lunch for a little help. It's amazing what happens after you make that first good sound. It's like a lightbulb goes off and you've got it figured out how the call actually works! From there it's a snowball affect! Again, I reccommend Buck Gardners Instructional tapes!

Good Luck!

fsulaxer18 10-26-2007 09:20 AM

You cannot expect to pick up any call and make it sound goosey it just doesnt work that way. A call from a maker like Tim Grounds or Jeff Foiles which are hand tuned by them or someone on their staff will not need any tuning. Practice is the only thing that is gonna help, and that costs nothing. I have been blowing calls for like 8 years now and I can pick almost any short reed call and make it sound good, but I have used so many and practiced so much to make that happen. If you have a long commute to work or stuck in traffic keep them in your car, practice there, practice on a lunch break, I would say do it at home but my lady won't allow me to do that, she told me that she would shoot me if she had to listen to it anymore, lol. Thats all it will take a few weeks of practice and you should be ok. Don't expect to pick one up on the way to the field and be able to make it work.

mike2355 10-28-2007 05:59 PM

its all you, not the calls. A good caller, can pick up any call and be able to make it sound like a goose, the tuning is just to make it fit you better. For example, making it stiffer or easier to blow (not "easier" but requiring less air).. you need to pick up some instructionals, such as bad grammer, 100% all goose and the dvd honker talk.. listen and watch those. You still wont be able to call just cuz you listened or watched them, but they will get you on track. start with the basics, get them down by practicing practicing and more practicing. I have only called for about a year now but im pretty good now since i practice like crazy. It took me about 4 months with lots of frustration to be able to get "Started" calling. By the 4 month mark, i could cluck and honk and stuff and i had great speed, but it still didnt sound goosey, since i was only trying to get fast. Well after working on it and watching and listening to the cds/dvd for 100s on times, it finally just hit me and i changed my bad habit of trying to go extrememly fast. Then i got better and better and better and now i think im going to start practicing routines for contests since i think im good enough to start. Dont quit practicing and just keep getting better. If what your doing isnt working for you, try something else. Make sure you pop the air into the call, dont puff your cheeks, and your tounge is the most important part. Its not just going to come to you, you need to practice and listen to geese to get the sounds stuck in your head. then try to copy those sounds.

2eagles 10-29-2007 02:23 AM

Sounds to me like you should forget the short reed calls. Look for the old style calls like an Olt 800. Grounds sells one for around 80 bucks. Or DJ Ill Valley Bluelakes call at Macs for $30. Pretty easy to sound like a goose with those, but you do give up the ability to make some goose sounds. Jim

ssrenegade 11-08-2007 06:49 PM

I read the responses and thank you for the info here and the other threads. I spent 3 hours practcing and the call I own still does not make goose sounds. It is too high pitch. I still think you should be able to buy a goose call that sounds like a goose.

Colorado Luckydog 11-08-2007 07:51 PM

I felt the same way after I spent a thousand dollars on the best calls and coudn't make a goose sound after months of trying. I just had to keep using my flute, but it killed geese. Then one afternoon my buddy met me at a city park with ducks and geese. He worked with me for about an hour, but I was able to finallyable to make a couple of goose sounds. After that it was all down hill. I was practicing in my car at home at work. My boss even told me he was gonna fire me if he caught me blowing it around customers. You just have to get someone to help, or you gotta stick with it and keep trying! It's not the call that sounds like a goose it's the caller. Good Luck!!!:D

Where are you located?

Buffinator 11-10-2007 09:49 AM

i bought a Buck Garnder Canada Hammer 2 a couple of years ago, just to have something to play with. keep in mind that i dont do any goose hunting (yet). i picked it up faster than i picked up duck calling, and all i did was read the instructions that came with the call.

any call will sound different from a distance than it will sound indoors. stand about 30 feet from a tape recorder and let loose. that will give you a better idea of what you really sound like.