HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   public land woes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/211596-public-land-woes.html)

CanadaSlammer69 10-11-2007 08:48 PM

public land woes

trying to hunt a 10 acre open water marsh with like 4 other groups of guys... wondering if anyone has any ideas of something that might pull the ducks to me instead of them

johnch 10-11-2007 09:22 PM

RE: public land woes

10 acres and 4 orher groups of guys souns dangerous

I would look for another spot

I have found , if it isn't easy to get to
99% of guys will not bother hunting it

If all else fails and you have to hunt it
Better concealment and better calling tend to rule the day

John

John

mjensen724 10-16-2007 10:01 AM

10 acres is tough. are you guys all on private property together?? no matter what kind of hunting i'm doing, if i'm on the same property as a couple of other guys, it always works out well to get together with those guys and work out days that maybe only one or two guys will hunt and then days that the other couple of guys can hunt. it's a good deal if you know the guys out there, cause they probably feel the same way you do when your all out together sharing the same birds. If its a random bunch of guys your hunting with each time though, and this marsh is your only hunting option, try going on days that most guys wouldnt go out. i love going out on weekday mornings or evenings, days of big football games, or special holidays like christmas or thanksgiving cause i'll usually get the weekend honeyholes all to myself.

psandhu 10-16-2007 03:15 PM

you could use a spinning wing decoy. but i can guarantee that about a week later one or more of the other groups will have 2 spinners.

HUNTADDICT1L77 10-19-2007 05:05 AM

I hunt mostly refuges. It sucks when someone takes up a spot on the pond your hunting. The key is to let them push the birds to you. You have to be more believable than them.Your spread, calling, and concealment have to be superior.

cgguy 10-19-2007 06:29 PM

I was hunting this morning and had a goose working into the decoys, I was getting ready to shoot and boom! A guy had walked thru the bushes and sat 20 yards to my right, he had no decoys and never called. He was hunting over my spread and I never had any idea that he was there! It scared the **** out of me. I picked and will be hunting from the boat from now on. What happend to good sportsman?

mac87toy 10-20-2007 09:12 AM

I used to have the same problem back at my home pond, it was a little bigger but also had more people. you have to be more dedicated then them. get there earlier so you can get the best spot set your decoys in the most natural way possible and what i found is if i didn't call at all i shot way more ducks. LIke someone else said let them push the ducks to you. good luck and try the combining set-ups.