Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 First trip out, I'm hooked!! >

First trip out, I'm hooked!!

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

First trip out, I'm hooked!!

Old 10-06-2007, 04:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default First trip out, I'm hooked!!

I've never had the chance to go duck hunting until this morning, nobody else in my family does it any more, but a buddy of mine asked if i wanted to come. I jumped on the opportunity and im glad i did. we are hunting on the SW side of the bay of green bay, near littletail for those of you familiar with the area. Only a few minutes after shooting time we had a couple ducks come in low and they surprised us and we missed 'em. in about 3 hrs of hunting we connected with 2 redheads, a male and a female. It was a blast and we're going out again tomorrow morning. My buddy isnt too experienced w/ duck hunting either, and i know very little about the sport, so i was hoping to get a few beginner tips from the pros here. We've only got 13 deeks, is there any specific pattern that works best for redheads, mallards, etc with this few deeks? any tips for a beginner are greatly appreciated, i'll bring the camera along tomorrow and hopefully have some success pics to go along with my next post. It's amazing how one can live next to green bay for all his life and never know of the awesome hunting there is to be had on it!!

Schobs
Old 10-06-2007, 06:16 PM

Default RE: First trip out, I'm hooked!!

First tip on waterfowling.. never ever post about locations.... especially if its public land and you are successful!

That few decoys,, just place them inone group,, a small oval maybe 30 feet long by 20 feet wide. People will sugest J hook's, X's,,, dont bother you dont have enough dekes too get into spreads like that. Plat the winds and scout scout scout!!!
Old 10-09-2007, 06:03 PM

Good job bud, glad you got out and enjoyed it!

I do agree swampTHING dont disclose exact locations exp. with public land, people do a lot of cyber scouting and next thing you know your spot is being over run with morons.

Dont worry too much about only having a few decoys, put them out in kind of a jagged circle or you can even make a small jagged J. Just be real still and youll kill some ducks. Keep us posted!

Congrats on the RedHead, ive yet to kill one

Old 10-09-2007, 11:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to waterfowl hunting! I wouldn't ever diclose where you were hunting, because no other hunter in the whole world knows about that location! Being top secret is of the utmost importance!

Spend a few bucks and buy a few more dekes. Buy a call and learn when and how to use it. Try to hook up with other waterfowlers. Most of the time, they are pretty good dudes that would love to teach you and share their top secret spots!

P.S. Always, Always, be careful of the cyber-scout hunter location stealers! You will never be successful if they find out where you are hunting!!!
Old 10-10-2007, 07:28 AM

For Puddle Ducks we like to do a v patteren with the dekes and with divers, a J with a long lail so when they fly over it, they see the tail follow it to the hook and BAM!