HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   mod. choke (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/206547-mod-choke.html)

.243win 09-11-2007 06:45 PM

mod. choke

is a mod. choke in a benilli nova 12ga shootin kent fast steel 3in #2s good for ducksat like 25yard shoots and maybe a duck or duck decoyin in and will it work goodwith kent fast steel 3inch bbs

TEmbry 09-11-2007 07:21 PM

RE: mod. choke

pattern it and see, so long as it is safe to shoot steel through your modified. i know it is for my benelli sbe2, and i too use a modified choke, but remington 4 shot 3 inch shells for duck and 3 1/2 bbs in winchester drylok steel for geese.

modified helps extend your shots further than more open patterns, i would think you can knock them down from a bit further than 25 yards.

NMFowler 09-11-2007 10:47 PM

I shoot a Nova, and I personaly like an improved cylinder choke out to about 30 yards with #2's. If the ducks seem to flying in a plateu a little higher up, I switch to my modified. You know your shooting ability beter than anyones else. I believe that you should patern your gun and go with what suits you best. If you can hit them consistantly with the tighter paterns @ 20-25 yards, shoot it, that way you can extend your range a little without making any changes.

Muliefever 09-12-2007 10:12 AM

I am sure it will work fine. Pattern it and see.. Why use 3" 2's for ducks? I stricktly shoot Kent Faststeel 2 3/4" 3's or 4's. Just wonderin?:eek:

.243win 09-12-2007 12:01 PM

i shoot 3in cuz thats what dad buys and im not gonna complain wit what he buys cuzs its free and i was wonderin if theres a choke alittle bit more open cuz i havent figured out the leed on ducks and gesse so i thought a more open choke would help me knock them down and btw i shot the stock benilli chokes that came wit the gun

Muliefever 09-13-2007 07:03 AM

Oh I see, Well and Improved Cylinder is more "Open" then your modified choke. I think you will cripil more birds then you will kill though. I would stick with the modified. I learned to shoot with a full choke. Just get a good follow through and knock of their beaks!

SwampCollie 09-13-2007 09:57 AM

If I only had to shoot one choke for EVERYTHING, it would be a modified. It works with lead on doves (if you let them get out from you a bit), works great with hevi shot/hevi steel/steel proper in almost any waterfowling situation.

I do always carry an IC tube with me when I duck hunt, you never know... sometimes you end up finding a tight spot where the ducks just want to be. Doesn't take up space or weigh much. If there is a possibilty for a 30+ yard shot however, I'll take my modified everytime.

The faststeel isn't a bad choice. I have my own personal preferences, but for the price you are getting it (free) I sure would shoot it!