Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Early goose season

Old 08-27-2007, 08:51 PM

Default Early goose season

Hi all!! I am new to the early season and usually hunt geese in cut cornfields later in the season when there is plenty of cover to brush in the blind. I found about 200 geese landing in a freshly planted Alfalpha(sp?) field that is just starting to sprout. The farmer said "go get them" so Saturday I am gonna give it a try.

My question is, how do you guy's hide the blinds in basically a dirt field with maybe 2 inch green sprouts coming up here and there?

Any help would be appreciated and good luck/be safe
Old 08-27-2007, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Early goose season

Find any depression and use fresh cut green grass to cover the blinds
Or the green Quack Grass if it is the same color

Another way is to set the blinds against or just in a feild next to the short grass
With the decoys 50yds into the short grass feild
Set the decoys so the geese pass over you as they land into the wind

A few years back we sat up in the first rows of a bean feild and shot 10 yard geese as they landed on a golf course

John
Old 08-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

fence lines, field edges? thats what we try to utilize when were out hunting. dont go to far from were u have seen the geese landing in the field.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:43 PM

I Agree with Mr.Fishy Fence Lines, field edges... we'ed hunt a basic grass field surrounded my corn as much as we could last year after school until the corn came off. We just went out and bought some cheap camo netting that matched the grass and stuck 2 screw drivers in the ground 2 hold it by our feet, throughout the whole season they were always landing right on top of us works almost aswell as a layout blind

Old 08-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

good tips mallard. thanks
Old 08-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Natural depressions or any weedy spots near where the birds want to be work well, if you can use the edges then go for it.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:04 AM

If you can use fencelines great, but I have noticed that geese can be skiddish, so if they look like they arent going to finish, go ahead and bust em' !
Old 08-28-2007, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Where's this farm? I wanna go!
Old 08-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

mallard, u guys use the same as we do. i jus grad college. but back in highschool me and my buddy did the same thing. after football practice we'd go out and set up. and we used them mess camo netting and threw straw over the top for cover. they came right in, and i remember a pair came in and we got em both. they hit the ground about 5 feet infront of us.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:04 PM

Thanks for all the tips. The farmer said to take some fresh cut Alfalpha from the adjoining field and cover the blinds. What a guy!! I found a large dip in the field that has been wetter and is much greener, so we should blend in pretty good . I plan to put the decoy'supwind of the dip with the landing zone at the high point, behind us. This should put them at about 20 yards when they fly over us...

I dont think I could hunt the field edges as the geese are flying over some trees and diving into the middle of the field. This field is getting hammered , morning and evening, and they are coming about 20 at a time about 5 minutes apart. I stopped counting at 200 when I quit scouting and went to work this morning. No wonder the farmer wants them outta there. If we can shoot straight we should do well. I just wish Saturday would get here before they switch fields on me.

I am from Western New york and have modified my profile. Sorry about that...... Our season runs from Sept 1 - Sept 25, 8 birds per day.

Thanks again...Good luck and be safe

Quick Reply: Early goose season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.