Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Waterfowl hunting without a dog? >

Waterfowl hunting without a dog?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Waterfowl hunting without a dog?

Old 08-01-2007, 11:33 PM

Default RE: Waterfowl hunting without a dog?

I'm not so sure that I would want to hunt waterfowl without a dog, unless it was over a cornfield. I have never tried it over water. Lots of good ideas on how to get your birds, with a fishing pole, and some sort of treble ook setup. Though it seems there would be alot of time spent throwing that to get your birds. As far as just going and getting them youself, I would be hesitant on that as well. One of my neighbors back home tried hunting ONE time when he was between dogs. He ended up in the drink after stepping in a muskrat hole, in nice Michigan winter water. Just something to think about befor eyou go without a dog.

Can it be done without a dog, yes, but I have found it to be more enjoyable with a dog.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

my first 3 years hunting ducks was without a dog. when you shoot a bird, make sure it's dead before it hits the water. if it starts swimming, keep on shooting.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:53 PM

dam yankes got no sense , it aint that big of a deal to get a cottonpickin duck
Old 08-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

dam yankes got no sense , it aint that big of a deal to get a cottonpickin duck
Please inform this Yankee what kind of ducks pick cotton so I can get me one.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:56 PM

surely, us yankees can go get a duck ourselves.I have seen it done. But one thing you southern fellas need to try is winter hunting in Michigan. When the water sometimes has a thin layer of ice on it, and then you step in a muskrat hole, and fall in that cold water. you're kinda F*#(@)D. Having a dog go get them sure makes a lot more sense.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Typical Buck

This year I bought a float tube used for fishing that has all kinds of compartments, and a snag proof cover over the tube. For camo I got the idea out of one of my old fur-fish-game magazines, I just use a black trash bag. In the magazine they would actually take a huge piece of glossy black plastic and set it out in the middle of a field with decoys on it and it realy does look like a little body of water.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:00 PM
Fork Horn

I still hunt without a dog sometimes. If I'm going with someone with a dog, than obviously I don't. I usually hunt in Rice fields that are shallow enough to wade around in.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

As an add on to my earlier post, every place I hunt where I could potentially lose a duck due to high water between me and it, I have had a boat. No walk in hunts on big water for me. It comes down to just uncovoring the boat and going to get the bird. No issues needed with hooks or anything like that... just lots of up and down and rehiding the thing.

I couldn't imagine walking in on a big swamp or a lake or river without a dog and trying to pick up ducks.... I'd probably lose 75% of what I shot.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:43 AM

i hunt without a dog and use a decoy recovery pole i got a bass pro it works good when the bird falls out of wadding range
Old 08-12-2007, 06:00 PM
Typical Buck

It sucks when the water levels are high where I hunt. Sometimes we would have to get the boat and row over to them...which sucked when the water was high. This year it was walking so far, getting the pile of weeds that has gathered in front of you out of your way, ending up with frozen hands by the time you got back to the blind with your birds. God I love waterfowl hunting!
I am gonna have a dog this year, hopefully he will go get the birds and not eat them. He is a little young, but I think will do ok..by next year he should be winning medals

Quick Reply: Waterfowl hunting without a dog?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.