Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Need advice on picking the right gun >

Need advice on picking the right gun

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Need advice on picking the right gun

Old 07-17-2007, 01:06 PM

Default RE: Need advice on picking the right gun

Speed only means you can miss alot faster! Get a gun that fits you that you can shoot well. seriously,, ive watched guys miss 3 times as fast as they can pull the trigger,, you need some time for target aquisition!
Old 07-17-2007, 01:12 PM

You all make good points.
Thanks
Old 07-19-2007, 09:18 PM
Typical Buck

benelli, benelli, benelli.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BigOrangeBowHntr

If you are looking for a less expensive alternative try the Stoeger Model 2000 it has the same Inertia sytems the higher end Benellis have but is a whole lot less expensive. i use it for everything ducks, geese, and turkeys. Only draw back is that it is only chambered for 3" shells but still a real nice gun!
I took a serious look at the Stoeger guns as well. Verynice gun for the price. I ended up going with a Benelli, but I think the Stoeger is definitely an option.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

I have an M1, a Super Black Eagle II and a Winchester SX3. I find the SX3 has the least amount of recoil among the three. I don't know what to say about jamming. I clean my guns too much and they never jam.

Just find what feels the best in your hands and most likely you'll be buying the best gun. To me, it's the same as buying a golf club. They all do pretty much the same thing. It all boils down to the level of confidence you have once you pick it up.

Good luck.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:54 AM

Just get a remington 870 pump or a browning sintori,chances are if u miss with the first two shots u wnt hit with the third any way,id just get a over and under browning sintori
Old 07-22-2007, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot a BerettaO/U for thelast 6 seasons. I started with a Remington 1100 (hubby's hand me down). He moved toan older Franchi O/U then he got the Franchi 12/20 Alcione Light Field. Now he's got a new Beretta O/U.
My girlfriend shoots a Benellie autoloader. My brother has a Beretta 391 and a Browning Gold Hunter and a Beretta Silver Pigeon. Of the auto loaders these are my preferences. If cost is an issue for you might take a look at what CZ USA is offering. For the price they make a nice gun.
The Stoger referenced is what our friend bought for his 11 yr old son after his first season afield.
The advances with some of the new recoil reduction technology has really made some improvements to some old shoulder pounders.
Whenever someone asks me about what kind of shotgun they should get I always recommend that they get something that fits their hands well. A 12 ga forestock on an older Browning Citori is too big for my hands. I can't manage the weapon well and it has direct impact on my shooting ability with it. Remember when you go gun shopping, take along the types of gloves you use during the season (and possibly the coat you wear most).
The next most important thing I tell people when they're getting a shotgun is HAVE IT CUT TO FIT. Remember this may mean that you need it a shorter than your length of pull to effectively shoulder the firearm when bundled in a coat. It's easier to properly mount a gun that's slightly too short than one that's too long.

And if that's all the new toys you've gathered since your first season then you're off to a good start.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:44 AM

As for the Benelli, I have a SBE I that is on its 7th season. It has had close to 10,000 rounds through it (1 case for ducks, 1 case for dove, and 4-5 for clays per year). For recoil, less than a pump and I don't find much difference between it and gas op. (I have plenty of time behind an 1100 and 11-87). Different feeling recoil but not worse. As for cleanliness, it is easily the cleanest auto I've ever used, due to the inertia system. As for wear, see pic below. Breechface still ultra smooth and shiny, no wear to rails, and no other internal parts show any wear. Camo finish extremely durable. As for reliablility, failures can be attributed to ammo choice. Shoot 1 1/8 oz. 2 3/4s or hot 1 oz. but not the economy 7/8 oz. loads. For waterfowl, never a failure with Winchester or Estates. Kent I have issues with.

Now that the Benelli pitch is over, pick one that fits you. I prefer the Benelli due to lightweight and small pistol grip. Just like the Remingtons. The Browning, Benelli Nova, Win. SX, and especially the 835 UM are too bulky for my tastes. However you may have a hand big enough to wrap around one of these tanks.

If I lost the Benelli today, I would buy another but would look hard at the Extrema or maybe even a Citori.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:11 AM

Well I've put my hands on quite a few guns these last few weeks. I believe I have found "the One".

I'm going with the benelli Super Black Eagle II.

It was a close run with the Xtrema II but the benelli just fits me better. Also, I do like the fact the benelli uses the inertia system.

Thank you guys for your help and insite. Hopefully in a few months I'll have some pictures to post of me, my new gun, and DEAD WATERFOWL!!!!