Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

calling a disadvantage?

Old 12-24-2002, 02:54 PM

Default calling a disadvantage?

Need your guy's advice. My partner and I hunt a public area that has a lot of pressure. There are over 30 blinds along a major river, and we hunt some slough ponds, right off the river, about midway between the blinds. Last weekend we had pretty good success, but I noticed something strange. You never had to look up when ducks were coming, you just had to wait for everyone to call them. One by one every blind would call. The ducks actually avoided the river, and flooded into the slough ponds. We ended up getting some decent shooting.
My question is, in a case like that, if your not a very experienced caller, should you lay off the call, and just rely on a good area, and good decoy setup?
Also, what do you guys think of hevi shot? As far as non toxic loads go, in 3 inch shells, what are your favorites? Thanks for the help.

Workhorse- Hunt hard.
Old 12-24-2002, 11:00 PM

Default RE: calling a disadvantage?

Definitely lay off the calls for wary puddlers. Just hope that they come in on your dekes, or find a pond they already frequent.

Merry Christmas to all and God Bless
Curtis

----------------------------------
just gotta hunt
Old 12-26-2002, 12:35 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]