Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Neighbors dog harrassing momma duck - what would you do? >

Neighbors dog harrassing momma duck - what would you do?

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Neighbors dog harrassing momma duck - what would you do?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Neighbors dog harrassing momma duck - what would you do?

I have a question for all you duck lovers out there. My neighbor's favorite pastime seems to be to watch their dog swim after a mallard hen that has 4 babies. The hen never leaves the pond (it's only about 100 feet by 50 feet) she just goes from one end to the other until the dog tires out, which usually takes about an hour. I've talked with her twice and she says there's nothing she can do to stop it. I've mentioned a leash and she gives no response.

This is the first time in 9 years that I've lived here that we have duck or geese babies. My kids andI love watching them out of our living room window. They both also watch from their bedrooms. But pretty soon that dog is going to find the babies.

What would you all do?
Old 06-12-2007, 09:13 PM

Default RE: Neighbors dog harrassing momma duck - what would you do?

I would try talking to the neighbor again, and if that dosen't work, try watching the dog. If the dog dosen't harm the babies, then leave it be. But if its hostile to them, run out there and hit the dog with something like a newspaper.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:18 AM

I could be wrong but, isn't it illegal to harrass migratory birds?
Old 06-13-2007, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds mostly like a people problem.

I suggest saving the rolled up newspaper for your neighbor. Have a talk with him/her. Ask them to keep the dog inside while the chicks are still very young.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

i would talk to them and try to reason with them. if that doesnt work then zap the dog with a hot-shot cattle prod. that stoped my dog from chasing our cows.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: bigjim12

i would talk to them and try to reason with them. if that doesnt work then zap the dog with a hot-shot cattle prod. that stoped my dog from chasing our cows.
I agree fully with that; just hit the neighbor with the news paper. And worse come to worse, get a low power airgun, like a Red Rider, and just pop the dog with it when he gets too close to the chicks.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Boone & Crockett

I could be wrong but, isn't it illegal to harrass migratory birds?
Here it is illegal to harrass any wild animal.

I would do what others have stated and let your nieghbor now it is illegal to harrass wildlife and perhaps the newspaper idea.

get a low power airgun, like a Red Rider, and just pop the dog with it when he gets too close to the chicks.
I wouldn't try it, that is also illegal and would probally get you in a bigger mess then what your nieghbor would have to deal with.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:18 PM

get your self a paintball gun and either use her on the og when the neighbor aint lookingif the neighbor gets mad than use it on her LOL
Old 06-16-2007, 01:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Call your local Wildlife Officer and report the problem. If it is truely illegal for them to just let their dog do that, then I'm sure he will come out and warn the owner. If not, a 100 grain Muzzy should do the trick.
Old 06-16-2007, 01:23 PM
bigcountry

Goodness, I can't believe what some of you guys are saying. Dog's chasin ducks. Dogs chase bugs, cats, rabbits. Its thier nature.Where does it end? Dogs are peoples pets, which I think is more important than some ducks in a pond that don't sound migratory to me, but more resident.

This is like someone telling all of us off for shooting ducks during duck season cause my kids just love em and its the first time we had ducks near our house. bla, bla bla.

If the pond is yours, thats one thing, if its illegal thats also another thing, but just regulating and legistating a dogs movement is going overboard.

Quick Reply: Neighbors dog harrassing momma duck - what would you do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.