Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Neighbors dog harrassing momma duck - what would you do? >

Neighbors dog harrassing momma duck - what would you do?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Neighbors dog harrassing momma duck - what would you do?

Old 06-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Neighbors dog harrassing momma duck - what would you do?

Is the pond on your property, because if it is I know what I would do. You probably wouldnt be able to associate with you neighbor anymore.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:00 PM
Typical Buck

First do it right get a warrden or animal control officer . You've talked to the niebor and gotten zip . "can't do anything" is a copout does your retriver chase birds in the off season ? My dogs weren't marking tires all over the hood either . Deep breath you found a real burr !!!!!!!!!!!!
Nextstep , retrain the dog . Never have doubt about negitive reinforcement .
I lived in a place that had ponds all over ,I loved to watch the ducks in the spring and summerthose birds were out of town by the second weekend as a rule . 1 pair this year 5 next .
Old 06-24-2007, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry said, "Dogs are peoples pets, which I think is more important than some ducks in a pond that don't sound migratory to me, but more resident."

The first part you right about, dogs are pets. And owners are responsible of the behavior of their pets. Dogs also can, if irresponsible owners let them, chase and kill deer, livestock, etc. I don't know what they do with such dogs in MD. Here in MN and probably most of places outside the coasts people take very direct actions either to stop dogs from doing this or if caught in the case of chasing deer / livestock can shoot them. I don't like that option and don't advocate it in this case.

The other part about these being "resident ducks" as in what permanent resident sort of "tame" ducks that just hang around the pond all year?! This in MN bc. It gets really cold and nearly all ponds and lakes freeze really hard here in the winter, except those near power plants with warm water discharge. Most all waterfowl does migrate from this area in the winter, aside from the very few that find open water on such water or rivers.

I'd suggest when the owner says she can't do anything about it, you suggest using an electronic dog training collar (e.g. TriTronics or many others) that are waterproof. A moderate stimulation a few times when the dog has the urge to start chasing the ducks will cure it of that.
If she refuses, contact the State Fish & Game, DNR or other authorities and make a report. Let them deal with her. This is primarily a person (owner) problem, not a dog problem.

Old 06-24-2007, 12:25 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: MinnFinn

Bigcountry said, "Dogs are peoples pets, which I think is more important than some ducks in a pond that don't sound migratory to me, but more resident."

The first part you right about, dogs are pets. And owners are responsible of the behavior of their pets. Dogs also can, if irresponsible owners let them, chase and kill deer, livestock, etc. I don't know what they do with such dogs in MD. Here in MN and probably most of places outside the coasts people take very direct actions either to stop dogs from doing this or if caught in the case of chasing deer / livestock can shoot them. I don't like that option and don't advocate it in this case.

The other part about these being "resident ducks" as in what permanent resident sort of "tame" ducks that just hang around the pond all year?! This in MN bc. It gets really cold and nearly all ponds and lakes freeze really hard here in the winter, except those near power plants with warm water discharge. Most all waterfowl does migrate from this area in the winter, aside from the very few that find open water on such water or rivers.

I'd suggest when the owner says she can't do anything about it, you suggest using an electronic dog training collar (e.g. TriTronics or many others) that are waterproof. A moderate stimulation a few times when the dog has the urge to start chasing the ducks will cure it of that.
If she refuses, contact the State Fish & Game, DNR or other authorities and make a report. Let them deal with her. This is primarily a person (owner) problem, not a dog problem.
So when other geese lovers, start complaining about you banging yoru 12ga at them, cause thier children name them, are they right?What about the bunny lovers, or squirrel lovers. I guess thier children name them too and like looking at them.

Guys, they are freakin geese in a pond.

I am not from MD, just live here, and have lived in Tx, NC, and grew up in Ky. And all these places, people realize an important fact. Dogs like to chase other animals. And if they are not trespassing on your land or pond, and not hurting the people other than thier feelings, its agoose, I plan to drop with some hevishot this year.

I guess they may be different in MN, than the rest of the entire country. Who knows maybe like coastal people.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, I'm having a little trouble following your train of thought here. I'll try to make my points short and clear:
[ul][*]Ducks (adults or their young) asmost wild animals are protected by the states and in the case of migratory birds federal law.[*]As a result, state and federal laws clearly state how, when and who can hunt/kill such protected animals/birds.[*]Only people holding valid licenses, in perscribed means andin season as clearly stated inthe laws that applycan kill such wild animals or being cited, finedand face possibleprosecution,in cases where the violation are flagrant and significant. (The later doesn't seem to be the case here. But fines certainly arepossible, if theownerignores authorities' warnings and he/she doesn't control the dog. )[*]Pet owners also have responsibilities under the law including, but not limited to having control of their pets at all times both through proper training and as needed, physical restraints to prevent their domestic (not wild) dog, cats, etc. from killing or harming wild protected animals, both game and non-game species.[*]Pet owners who fail to uphold such responsibilities, which it's clean in this case this person is not, are liable to be cited and penalized under the states and if it applies federal law for knowingly and willingly allowing their pet to harass, injure and if it happens, kill wild protect games animals, as they should be.[/ul]If people don't understand and don't care to take the time and make the effort to understand these basics of theirresponsibility of controlling their petsor just are too lazy to do so, they should be encouraged not to have pets. By being poor examples of pets owners they give all the millions of responsible owners a bad rap.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:41 PM
bigcountry

Sorry, I'm having a little trouble following your train of thought here. I'll try to make my points short and clear:
[ul][*]Ducks (adults or their young) asmost wild animals are protected by the states and in the case of migratory birds federal law.[*]As a result, state and federal laws clearly state how, when and who can hunt/kill such protected animals/birds.[*]Only people holding valid licenses, in perscribed means andin season as clearly stated inthe laws that applycan kill such wild animals or being cited, finedand face possibleprosecution,in cases where the violation are flagrant and significant. (The later doesn't seem to be the case here. But fines certainly arepossible, if theownerignores authorities' warnings and he/she doesn't control the dog. )[*]Pet owners also have responsibilities under the law including, but not limited to having control of their pets at all times both through proper training and as needed, physical restraints to prevent their domestic (not wild) dog, cats, etc. from killing or harming wild protected animals, both game and non-game species.[*]Pet owners who fail to uphold such responsibilities, which it's clean in this case this person is not, are liable to be cited and penalized under the states and if it applies federal law for knowingly and willingly allowing their pet to harass, injure and if it happens, kill wild protect games animals, as they should be.[/ul]
If people don't understand and don't care to take the time and make the effort to understand these basics of theirresponsibility of controlling their petsor just are too lazy to do so, they should be encouraged not to have pets. By being poor examples of pets owners they give all the millions of responsible owners a bad rap.
Goodness, people go overboard. They are freakin baby geese. Thats it. I sure don't know how it is in Minn, but I know TeeJay on here and he doesn't sound like a liberal wanting to legistlate every move we make. And he is from there.

I mean what is the big deal? Its a dog swimming after geese. I mean do they legistlate a dog getting excited and barking at the geese up there. I hope not.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:38 PM

call the dnr or police every time it happens and eventually they will get sick of you and come out and take care of the situation
Old 06-26-2007, 10:31 AM

We all have to live with our neighbors, sometimes it is difficult. From past expereince it is better to let sleeping dogs lie.
Sometimes bothersome trespassers are relocated to different areas.
Hard to do if neighbor already knows of your dissatisfaction.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don’t understand why some people don’t understand why it “not okay” for their pets to chase wildlife of any kind. That wild animals are something they can use anyway they want, when they want and misuse. And of course when their pets catch wildlife they do what animals like dogs will do, if their owners are not responsible and train them to avoid killing live animals you’re not hunting… they kill the wild animal! I don’t blame the dog, just the owner. (It doesn’t matter if it’s “just some geese” or deer or whatever.) If you aren’t hunting and aren’t licensed to hunt a particular wild animal in session in the way prescribed in the law, then don’t let you domestic pet chase, catch and kill wild animals.

And if they do it to “just geese”, ducks or other wild birds, what’s to stop them from chasing deer or other big wild mammals?

Here is what irresponsible owners of dogs who don’t control their animals face for every infraction of their dog chasing deer in MN. I suspect in most states, state law has similar fines.
Article titled “Dogs chasing and harassing wildlife a serious problem
http://www.outdoorsweekly.com/news_archive/06_0303_news.html#news3

By the way bc, that’s a real leap to associate being a responsible dog owner with “being a liberal”. I’m Conservative with a capital “C”. I also control my dogs and have the common sense to think that others should to, without having to involve the legal system. But then again we know that common sense is one of the most uncommon things we find these days. For those who don’t, I don’t have a second thought of make the call to report them.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:47 AM
bigcountry

By the way bc, that’s a real leap to associate being a responsible dog owner with “being a liberal”. I’m Conservative with a capital “C”. I also control my dogs and have the common sense to think that others should to, without having to involve the legal system. But then again we know that common sense is one of the most uncommon things we find these days. For those who don’t, I don’t have a second thought of make the call to report them.
No, you want laws, you want rules, you want control, you want a goverment entity to protect you or the little babe geese that some kid named, you want hillary, she will give you all you can handle. You might want to rethink if you are a conservative.

I bet the impact of people letting their dogs chase geese, is so low, that it really doesn't make sense to talk about it. Everything chases other animals in the wild. Its the wild. The coyotes, the fox, the wolf, whatever.

DaleH got it right. If you have ever owned a house and live beside nieghbors, its not worth it to call the cops on some little geese. Its not worth it to have to see them everyday, just because your kid named something I plan to shoot this year anyway. I mean, you don't even know if this pond is on this guys land, or a park, or what it is.