HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   what to look for in a pup? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/187490-what-look-pup.html)

mrfishy34 04-07-2007 11:27 PM

what to look for in a pup?

i am looking to get a lab of some kind. black, yellow, chocolate. just wondering what i should look for in the pup when i find a litter of them. everyonce in awhile someone will be selling some. thnks.

camelcluch 04-09-2007 01:13 PM

RE: what to look for in a pup?

Don't forget to look into the pointing labs.

nctaxi 04-09-2007 03:04 PM

Check the lineage. Some dogs are great looking but don't have the "hunting gene". Some think it's no that important, but it can make all the difference. Check out www.huntingcreekkennels.com , Don Stroud raises some great dogs, good hunters.

wingchaser_labs 04-09-2007 07:24 PM

Sent you a PM. Let me know if you didn't get it. Thanks WCL

DJanes1 04-09-2007 07:48 PM

A big question is what do you want from your dog. Hardcore hunting, dog around the house, somthing in between. Lineage is important, and how they did in feild trials. Learn about the parents energy and drive. If the dog is going to be around the house more than hunting you don't want a pup from parents that are high energy hardworking. And so on and so on.

HONKERS 04-13-2007 07:29 PM

Good eyes....Hips certified.. good lines.......good bitedown and a wagging tail when you approach......Honkers

mrfishy34 04-14-2007 12:59 PM

i found some. are females better than males when it comes to a hunting dog? people told me to get a male if i could but looking around the females usually are costing more than males.....

jaysweet3 04-16-2007 06:51 AM

I have my first female lab, we have had a couple males. If they are all like her, I will never get another male again. She is tough as nails and as loyal as they come. She hunts just like themales we have had, tons of drive, takes direction well, and has a nice soft mouth. But, the biggest difference I have seen is that she doesn't roam. When we are at hunting camp, I don't have to keep her kenneled up. She is very content hanging around. All of the males would go out looking for you know what.

mrfishy34 04-16-2007 04:05 PM

thats good to hear cuz i got a female.

SwampCollie 04-17-2007 05:56 PM

ORIGINAL: mrfishy34

thats good to hear cuz i got a female.
Females are easier to train. And if you plan on breeding, you make money off of selling the pups. Which is why you paid more. Only problem is they pee when they get excited, which is true of most puppies, but the females seem to leak a little more often.

Should be a great pup. All I looked for out of my swamp collie was good health and a good companion that listened well. Both parents were field trial dogs and regular hunters, which is getting tough to find in a golden. I had the male pick of the litter, and the breeder thought he knew exactly which dog I was going to get, but the dog just didn't appeal to me. The dog I chose was named "Bullet", after the Lynard Skynard song. He would run off after the duck wing, bring it back, play with the other puppies etc, buthe was the only one that came back to me every ten minutes or so, just to see what I was up to. He was truely interested in making me happy, eager to please so to speak. I can litterally teach that dog anything, just because he wants to learn and make me happy. We just went down to the little leauge field and I had him fetching home run balls out of the thick woods for eager parents, who were quick to trade for hot dogs. I suspect if I let him keep it up, I will send him for a duck and he'll bring me back a baseball.