Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Your specialty?

Old 01-23-2007, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Default Your specialty?

This is my first year waterfowling and ,like alot of hunters, one ofmy favorite ducks to hunt is the mallard, mostly because they are the most common here in this part of Indiana. But my favorite has to be the wood duck with the beatifully colored plumidge. They are one of the easiest to hunt to me because most of the time I can just sit and wait at a pond or stream without decoys or calls and be successfull. One duck I realy would like to shoot is the pintail. I was wondering what you hunters would consider your specialty in waterfowl hunting.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:18 PM

Default RE: Your specialty?

im in indiana also .... as far as specialty id say any of the puddle ducks and canadas .... lol ..... as far as my favorite bird i like huntin .... i would have to saypintails ... love how they work ..... may make a pass over ya ..... leave for a bit ....come back ... make a few passes ..... leave .... come back .... make a pass .... then drop into the spread like a hunk of lead ..... then the next one may hit the water in the dekes before ya even get a chance to see it .... but for the most part .... very wary bird .... also love huntin divers .... heck what am i talkin bout .... i love em all !!! lol
Old 01-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine would probably be black ducks and teal as far as species go. Mallards to some extent, but we don't get as many as other places in the country.

If it came down to strategy, I specialize in hunting with a few decoys in a broad area, and using limited, but well timed calling, I manage to do better than most of my competition.

But, as you pointed out roadkill by your wanting more sprigs....I wish I got a few more widgeon. We get a decent number of sprigs each year, but I have only killed a few baldplates...and they are my favorite bird...both looks wise and overall working wise. Although, sprigs are tough to beat...they sure do sound pretty when a big group is working!
Old 01-23-2007, 05:26 PM

swamp i hear ya man !!! those drakes "twillin" above ya and the graceful flight is AWESOME !!! love watchin the long necks turnin as they take a look .... watchin em work in a strong wind is the best !! ..... and as far as the wigeon .... have to be one of my fav birds !!! but dont see em here cept for their migration back north in the spring .. altho do see and kill a few in Arkansas ..... very pretty birds !!
Old 01-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Typical Buck

SwampCollie, when you say sprigs is that a "slang" word for pintails because Im a little stupified not knowing what your talking about-LOL
Old 01-23-2007, 05:42 PM

sprig-pintail

My "specialty" big numbers of dekes on big water, both mallard/black duck and divers. Not a goose hunter really,, will take the oppurtunity too shoot them though.

Hunt a couple large marshes(600+acres) for puddlers that generally have huge huge numbers of birds in them,, need 60+ mallard/black dekesout for them too take a look.

Big water(great lakes)diver/puddler hunts, 3-5 dozen can dekes, plus 2-3 dozen mallard dekes, and 2-3 dozen black duck dekes. can be gunning from a boat blind or layout boat in this situation.

Have only killed 2 pins and 1 wigeon in my lifetime,, should have put the wigeon on the wall,, didnt. Seriously considerring making a trip too Texas this year too claim both birds.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:44 PM

id have to say wood ducks since their the only duck ive killed and the only duck i can hunt for by myself. other type ducks require a good spot to hunt and calls and decoys but woodies dont require much at all and can be found nearly everywhere.
Old 01-24-2007, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roadkillwarrior

SwampCollie, when you say sprigs is that a "slang" word for pintails because Im a little stupified not knowing what your talking about-LOL
Yep. Sprigs is a slang term for pintails. Bull sprigs refers to the male of the species.

There are dozens of slang terms for ducks.

Old 01-25-2007, 03:55 PM

i'd have to say my hunting specialty would be having good dogs... and having those dogs be able to flush out pheasants in the afternoon, when they dry off from pickin up ducks all mornin.
Old 01-25-2007, 04:20 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, I dont have a dog yet so I have to make sure the water is just shallow enough that it wont go over my waders. It would make it a little easier on me for sure since most of the spots I hunt have mud deeper than the water. Love watching the dogs on TV retrieving them downed birds, and you can realy tell thats what they live for.

Quick Reply: Your specialty?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.