Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

first few hunts

Old 01-22-2007, 12:15 PM

Default first few hunts

I have been duck hunting twice now. I go on rhett island Ga. The ducks came over fast and high. I go with another novice so its the blind leading the blind. He has some decoys and a friend says the ones we are seeing are woody's. How do I call them or get them in closer. Any advice for me? I am so new ! Thanks in advance!

PS I am also buying a shotgun this week if anyone wants to make suggestion. No extrema 2's please.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: first few hunts

what are you hunting... field swamp lake or pond..also times you are hunting

gun wise i recomend a remington 870 3.5 inch 12 ga also you may not use the 3.5 inch its nice to have also look at the benelli nova or super nova
Old 01-26-2007, 06:16 AM

http://southern.ducks.org/ButlerIsland.php

This is where I'll be closing day. I bought a 870 super magnum in camo. It comes w/ ic,m and full chokes. Which to use and what ammo is best? Any tips would be great as I am going on my third trip and no ducks yet. I am hoping there will be enough season folks around to bring some in range. Yea its a cheesey plan, but its all I got starting a new thing at the end of the season.
Old 01-26-2007, 06:28 AM

Nothing will wear out your welcome faster than hunting someone elses deeks,, or shooting at birds that are on the "swing" into theyre decoy spread.

We had a guy do that a couple years ago on openning day.. he snuck in and sat down just off to the side of our decoys trying too shoot birds we were working into our spread.. We never saw him until he started shooting,, very very dangerous.. We could have killed him and we would have been legally liable because ofHIS foolishness.
Old 01-26-2007, 07:09 AM

Its a state ran quota hunt. They drop you off in deignated areas. Max of 3 per blind. I would never snake a kill off of someone elses hard work. I just meant there would be alotof shooters in the area and it should keep them in the air. I'll take any advice I can get. Thanks
Old 01-26-2007, 07:20 AM

Best advice I can offer in that situation.. 3-6 decoys,, place them fairly close together in 1 group. Dont call at all,and make sure you have very good concealment.