Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Have Any Of You Ever...

Old 01-22-2007, 10:05 AM

Default Have Any Of You Ever...

For whatever reason, have any of you ever shot a duck/goose off of the water, or even as its taking off or just landed?
I am really curious about this. I know it is unsportsman like to shoot a bird on perch or on the water, but I know some of you have to havedone it at some point in your life. I am not being judgemental in any way, I just want to know everybody's opinion on shooting ducks off of the water.
Old 01-22-2007, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Have Any Of You Ever...

twice this past season.. on geese hey, if it flys it dies if it sits there it still dies

other than that a few times when i was twelve or so
Old 01-22-2007, 10:17 AM

On the water, landing, taking off,, have done them all. I wont tell anyone shooting them on the water is "unsportsman" like. Its legal, so to each theyre own.

Now if your hunting with me, dont expect they are going to get a chance too land. If they are within good gunning range(30 yards or less).. Im going too say kill'em,, you had better be getting up and letting steel fly, because I will be!
Old 01-22-2007, 11:51 AM

ORIGINAL: SwampTHING

On the water, landing, taking off,, have done them all. I wont tell anyone shooting them on the water is "unsportsman" like. Its legal, so to each theyre own.

Now if your hunting with me, dont expect they are going to get a chance too land. If they are within good gunning range(30 yards or less).. Im going too say kill'em,, you had better be getting up and letting steel fly, because I will be!
Thats what I'm talking about. HAHAHA!!!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats how it works with me. The only times I've shot them off the water is when the got into my dekes without me seeing, or else when I've been jumping them out of the canoe, and snuck up really close to them. I really prefer not to shoot them on the water though, I find it's really hard to get a good clean kill.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:41 PM

If it's in the air, it's dead. If it's on the water, it's dead. If it's anywhere in between, um, it's dead....
Old 01-22-2007, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally, I am a snob and don't do it. But, I don't have any problem with others doing so. I look at it like this....if you have convinced those birds, be it through calling, concealment, and decoy placement...to acctually LAND and sit there in range....then you have fooled/mastered that bird...moreso than shooting them as they pass or jump shooting them. This is, of course, as it pertains to ducks.

Now, shooting doves off the wire, or murdering a covey of quail on the ground....we'll have words about that.....but ducks...or anything you have to call in (turkey's)....no problem with a ground swat.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:12 PM

SC, your not a snob. More than likely your alot like I am,, the thrill is in the circling,, getting the birds too fully commit,, everything after that is just anti-climatic! I dont waterswat birds,, if they sneak in and land, I will jump them out and take them in the air if I want that particular bird.

This past year myself and 2 buddies were on a puddler/can hunt. We had 8 bull cans already,, we could legally take a total of 12. We had singles coming in on us. Weresitting in the blind and were watching them come in,, typically the guy in the centre pulls the cord too flip the top of the blind, he decides when they are killable or listens for the "hit-it" to be called out.

I was the guy in the middle,, were watching these work right in just enjoying the show. They land 30 yards out easily killable,, and all were doing is talking too each other. Anyone want too kill those birds? no we've got a dozen birds,, we dont need those ones,, and we just sat and watched. Eventually we had about a dozen swimming and sleeping in the dekes.

A boat coming with a couple young guys in it ended up passing the outside of the dekes and kicked them up,, we flipped the top and took a stretch while they made theyre way by. They stopped and said you guys sleeping? you had a bunch of cans in the dekes. The answer was,, no just sitting here enjoying watching the show,, dont have too kill them all.. All we heard was you guys are nuts! You may think so,, but if your doing this 15 years from now, youwill probably be the same way...NEVER we'd kill those birds.. I hope I see those guys 15 years from now,, I can almost gaurantee it wont be about the kill anymore!
Old 01-23-2007, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

SC, your not a snob. More than likely your alot like I am,, the thrill is in the circling,, getting the birds too fully commit,, everything after that is just anti-climatic! I dont waterswat birds,, if they sneak in and land, I will jump them out and take them in the air if I want that particular bird.
Very true. I like to shoot as much as anyone else I suspect, but I get the real enjoyment out of working the birds and handling my dog. Most of the time I am hunting by myself these days....so if I don't pull the trigger, I doubt the pup will...

As it pertains to turkeys...I'd rather not shoot....they are a royal pain to pick! Not to mention that there is no more foul smelling a bird anywhere! I think that a mink smells worse...but for a bird...turkey's hold the crown of reek. But, I'd rather call turkey's, work turkey's and watch turkey's in close than anything else. And I try to have some free-enterprising young'in along with me to do all the dirty work.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:46 AM

Why not i do it when they sneak in on me or thery're crips diving. Its very easy to do a water shot. Aim a little incloser to you if the bird is broadside because the shot would bounce off the water and hit the bird. try it it works

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.