HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   26, 28 or 30 inch barrel? which one's the best? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/174620-26-28-30-inch-barrel-ones-best.html)

gooseslayerT 01-10-2007 07:08 PM

26, 28 or 30 inch barrel? which one's the best?

Hey guys, last summer I bought the Beretta Extrema 2, Max-4 Camo, 28-inch barrel. So far, it's the best gun ive ever had by far. I did really well with it this season. After I bought the gun, a few fellow hunters asked me why I wanted a 28"... And I was like confused and sometimes regreting it, because I do a lot of rabbit hunting with the gun as well. Was this a bad choice?

TEmbry 01-10-2007 07:30 PM

RE: 26, 28 or 30 inch barrel? which one's the best?

i honestly dont know if it hurts or helps. some technical gun guru could tell you pros and cons but i think that the choke is what matters. i went with the 26" on my sbe 2 b/c it was right in between so it wouldnt be too short or too long.

i know this, a 28" barrel will kill you just as many rabbits as a 24" barrel if your a good shot so i wouldnt worry bout it. congrats about putting it to good use this year. mine has seen some shots but im no account on pass shooting, i need em over decoys to drop very many.;)

gooseslayerT 01-10-2007 07:40 PM

Ya Trevor, I think the same. I dunno I just feel really comfortable with this gun now, and when i shoulder my dad's 26" I feel like im holding atoy. I guess it gets the job done, so im happy. its a bit stocky in the bush, but im getting used to it.

tyler

duramaxnay6 01-11-2007 07:48 AM

The reason for longer barrels (now a days) is that they point better than shorter barrels. If you look at competition shotguns, they all have 30" barrels (with the exception of skeet guns, but that is completely different, they are shooting at things 15-20yards out and need a fast swinging gun). For pass shooting, a longer barrel will point better than a shorter barrel. An easy way of thinking of it (in an exaggerated example) is try point a pencil at a moving target vs a broomstick. The broomstick gives you a longer sight plane to look down. There is a noticable difference in this when you compare a 24" barrel against a 28" barrel (or 30" if you can find one in a hunting shotgun). Manufacturers used to make long barrels because the longer barrel would provide the powder plenty of time to burn before leaving the barrel to give you more velocity on your shot. But with today's efficient powders, it isn't necessary. The comprimise is in the additional weight and overall length of the gun. That is why for turkey hunting, you don't need a long barrel, the choke is the most important thing. I shoot a 28" barrel in my sbe II because it points better than a shorter barrel. Not a huge difference to a 26" but a good bit of difference to a 24". Plus a shorter barrel is louder to your shooting companions. I think I summed it up in a very long winded version.

Javabird17 01-11-2007 07:52 AM

order a 24" barrel for bunnies or squirrels. I have the same gun ... have 2 barrels.

duck28 01-11-2007 03:59 PM

28" is the way to go!

Carpmaster 01-11-2007 08:32 PM

The one that swings the best for you! For me it is definitely the 28...but try them out!

wpmcdaniel 01-12-2007 07:34 AM

I havean Extrema 2 with a 26" barrel and love it..... I agree it is just what swings best for you. Plus nowadays, the chokes pretty much make up for the difference in barrel length.

camelcluch 01-13-2007 10:22 AM

I shoot 26 in the field and 28 in the blind. 28's are a good all around size, you should be fine in the field with that.

Rebel Hog 01-13-2007 10:55 AM

ORIGINAL: camelcluch

28's are a good all around size, you should be fine in the field with that.
Also agree!