Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Need tips on getting started goose hunting >

Need tips on getting started goose hunting

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Need tips on getting started goose hunting

Old 01-10-2007, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default Need tips on getting started goose hunting

Where I deer and turkey hunt in Frederick MD, I always see or hear what seems to be thousands of geese in fields near by. I have been thinking seriously about getting into goose hunting over the last season.

I have never been goose hunting, just wondered what the best way to get into the sport is. I don't personally know anyone who is into the sport, so I am starting from scratch. I would like to try to get out hunting without making a huge investment in gear if possible (already have a 12 gauge rem 870).

I was thinking about hiring a guide, but the money I spend on that may be better used to buy some decoys or other gear.

Any suggestions on how a beginner can get into this sport are appreciated!

-Rick C.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:27 AM

Default RE: Need tips on getting started goose hunting

Tough one,, do you have exclusive permission for the fields they are using? If you do, you may be able too work a deal out with a guide,, you supply the field, he supllies the equipment and brings a couple paying custommers.

Personally in your situation(no one else that hunts fowl) Id hook up with a guide,, goose hunting can be very very expensive. Most guys hunt geese in crews,, for one reason setting up gear and another is the high cost of equipment for geese. It can run into the thousands very very quickly! Hire a guide go out a couple times and see what it is all about before you start dropping the $$$ on it!
Old 01-10-2007, 02:58 PM

As a ROOKIE fowl hunter like myself...I would listen to anything SwampThing tells you. He really seems to know his sh**

I am learning so much watching his replies.
Old 01-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Most areas where geese feed are on private land and many are tied up in leases.For the most part huntershere hunt leases with very large spreads.
BUT, if you can find public land that has ponds hunting on the ice, if it is cold enough where you are at of course,is very productive; especially if it is close to feeding or resting areas. You can get started with a modest investment. Buy a 4 full body decoys with flocked heads, 5-10 shells which you can flock, a call (learn how to use it). Add some motion such as flags, motion stakes, etc. and you are in business. That is what I do and it has worked out for me. A cordless drill is handy for drilling into the ice or frozen ground.
P.S. Be careful on the ice. I prefer shallow ponds that I KNOW what the depth is.
Old 01-11-2007, 04:22 AM

Thanks Cervid,, I take that as aHUGE compliment!

I hunt in some very good areas, and have hunted with some above average waterfowlers from all over north america. I dont mind sharing what ive learned,, hopefully it saves a few people that are starting out some agrevation andpossibly some money as well!

Ducking is my thing for sure,, no doubt about it.. I even own half of 200 acres of very good deer hunting land.. I take the stands by the lake or swamp,, not because theyre the better spots,, its just so I can possibly see some ducks or geese coming and going!

Some people get cranked up on elk or moose or bear or deer,, me its working a flock of puddlers into the kill zone.. I dont even have too shoot if I can get them too work,, thats what gets me all cranked up!

Besides I really really like hearing about guys that are just starting out.. They get into a real good hunt or call in that first duck on theyre own. They come back and say,, man that was soooo much fun I dont know why I didnt do this year ago!
Old 01-11-2007, 12:16 PM

I have to agree with SwampTHING the best for me is seeing a flock in he killzone. I just started Deer hunting but have hunted fowl for years. And finally this year in MN the Ducks seemed to make a comback I had a solid year. I am not sure about MD but in MN there is allot of Public Land and one of my favorite spots to hunt is a large slough in my boat with a dozen floaters. Some floaters can be cheap in price but they work. There are fields all around it where the geese feed and rest. Most of my shots are passing shots but then again some will decoy too. So if you have a boat you can get your hands on try that if there is such a place in your area. Opener this year I had 4 floaters that I bought from Wal-mart and a Buddie and myself shot our limit in geese 3 out of the 4 decoyed. Goose Flute calls seem to be the easiest for me to learn on.