Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Selling bands

Old 01-05-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Selling bands

I was looking on ebay today after hearing that people sell their duck/goose bands on there. I also found that the ones that haven't been reported yet go for a significant amount more than ones that had. I find this all kind of sad that people would buy duck bands. I don't get why anyone would want to buy a band to a duck that they had not shot! I don't really care that people would sell them, if you don't want them, it's their business what they do with them. If I found out someone had bought a duck band and put it on their lanyard to claim it as their kill, it would ridicule them into complete oblivion!
Old 01-05-2007, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Selling bands

It is called EGO

I know a guy that bought several FAKE bands and put them on his lanyard , just to look like he knew WTF he was doing .

I have a box full of duck and goose bands
Keep 1 on the lanyard , don't fill up the lanyard after I had my truck broken into .
All they stole was my lanyard with 3 calls and 9 or 10 bands .
Try to get a insurance co. to pay you for bands . LOL

Johnch
Old 01-05-2007, 04:50 PM

my dads friend has sold over $7000 worht of bands on ebay. both goose and duck bands
Old 01-05-2007, 05:55 PM

Is a band kind of like a deer tag? I'm lost.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg

Yes Metal it is similar.

Its kind of like killing a big buck for waterfowl hunters. On the left or right leg of a bird, you will occasionally (and some people have hunted for 50 years and never killed one) find a metal band. On it will be a number, and phone number to call, and an agency, often the US Fish and Wildlife Service, or the USGS. The number for the Nat'l Labratory in laurel, MD is 800-327-BAND. Pretty easy to remember (I've been lucky enough to call it a few times over the years).

When you call it in, you give the folks your information, name, address, and date and place you harvested the bird. They will then send you a certificate telling you when the bird was banded, where it was banded, who banded it, and how old it was (approx).

Its really cool finding out where the birds you are hunting came from. I have killed two geese out of the same bunch before, both with bands. One being from about 20 miles upriver, and the other being from Ontario! Sometimes, they will be shiny new, and sometimes they will be worn thin. I have one that had been on a duck for 10 years. Bird was almost 12 and he too, had been banded in Ontario. I wonder how many miles he had logged over the years....

Some birds will have two bands, being captured twice. Some have monetary rewards attached (lots of black ducks have these, since they are the hot study duck lately).

As to selling them on ebay, I don't get it. Perhaps if someone wanted one for a mount or something, sure, whatever does it for you. As to calling it in yourself if you bought it, you are doing a disservice to the very folks who are trying to study waterfowl to ensure their continued success. Not that a few dozen will be enough to throw the data off too much, but still, you are not part of the solution....

I don't understand people who wear their bands on their lanyards anyhow. They rattle, they shine, and THEY SINK! Mine are all very special to me, and I save all of the certificates from over the years.

I can replace duck calls, but those are special to me, they stay at home on a lanyard with some old vintage calls I collect.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:53 AM

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg

The holy grail of waterfowling!

Mike I take it the guy who sold all those bands owns that marsh about a mile south east of this place?
Old 01-06-2007, 04:56 AM

thats crazy ,,a true to the heart duck hunter would never ,,i repeat never sell there bands,,there not ment to be a duck hunter and should start playing golf and get out of this great sport altogether.....wtf...
Old 01-06-2007, 02:45 PM

well i live in southern ontario, home of jack miners (ALOT of geese land in this feild, jack miner, the founder started banding and researching them. hes dead now, but the banding still continues. ) my dads friend that sold all these bands, did not shoot all the birds. his father hunted waterfowl and he has some pretty old bands that he sold for quite a bit. he hunts alot too and gets a bunch of bands. well i think people buy them on ebay just to collect them. just like baseball cards etc. some people collect them to get one from every year since they started hunting etc. i dont think they show off and say they are theirs
Old 01-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

My friend came up from his uncles place and had a couple of bands on his lanyard. I was like wtf you guys get some banded geese. At first he said yes then fessed up to them being his uncles.

I will have to take a pic of what I did with mine. I put that and two pictures with a certificate in a frame. Turned out pretty nice
Old 01-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

I've been duck hunting for over 12 years now and I have yet to get a band. I have cousins that have been duck hunting for over 30 years and they have gotten 1 so far. Do you think there is a specific area in the U.S. that gives you a greater percentage of shooting bands?

Quick Reply: Selling bands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.