Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What dog

Old 01-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default What dog

What dog breed other than a lab do you guysrecomend for retrieving ducks?
I would love a lab but I just want to see what other breed will work just as good as a lab. Also is there any difference in temperment or ease of training between the chocolate and black labs?

Thanks,
Old 01-03-2007, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: What dog

A chesapeake By Retriever is a sweat waterfowler dog!
Old 01-03-2007, 02:51 PM

Chessies are great dogs but more of a cold weather dog.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am a lab Guy .
But Chessie's are great if you hunt in a cold area , but are a little tougher to train , oily coat ( for the cold water )

Drahthaar Are a good dog , freind has 1 . Great dogs
Another guy I hunt with has 2 Spinone Italiano's , good dogs , but they pick up a lot of burrs
Curly-Coated Retriever or Flat coat retrievers are both Good if you are looking for something a little different .

If you hunt Snow Geese , a Standard Poodle are good .
They were breed to hunt , before people turned then sissy show dogs
Hunted Snows last spring , the guide had 3 .
They did great , also they were decoys

There are a number of other water dogs
It all depends on how much $$ you want to spend
Also you want a dog out of hunting stock , not show stock
They are breeding STUPID dogs just because they look good .

Johnch
Old 01-04-2007, 06:09 AM

BLACKS ARE HARD TO BEAT.
Old 01-04-2007, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

<------------ I prefer this model.

Goldens are great all around dogs. Mine has more drive and energy than a lot of labs when it comes to hunting. But has much better manners. For a puppy, he is one heck of a dog.

Boykins are another good little breed.

Chessies can be difficult to train, but they are very very hearty dogs and will retrieve until the cows come home or the water freezes around them. They have been known to have some temperment issues, but that depends a lot on you. They can make decent guard dogs too. Goldens are worthless guard animals. Attilah the Hun could come riding up the driveway on a elephant shooting flaming arrows and Dutch would go bounding out wanting a belly rub or a handout. The only thing my golden and my parents golden will bark at are possums, my neighbors dog, and the 3D deer target in the back yard.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:41 PM

Personally own a chocolate lab and cant complain. But a chessie is probably the truest form of waterfowling dog that can take all extremes and never give up. They do tend to be a little stubborn and are very owner loyal. But as in all breeds its all in the bloodlines. I dont think you will do wrong with any of the retreiver breeds as long as you do your part in the training. It is a never ending process. The dog will only be better the more time you spend with them.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:50 AM

chessie's are awesome. we have two. both very loyal.one is stubborn and the other just likes to get praisied. smart too one of them figured out how to open our back gate and get out
Old 01-05-2007, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

I looked into the boykins and I think I would like them alot. They are smaller dogs and seem to be just as good instictive retirevers as the labs. I think I will start another thread to see if anyone uses one for waterfowl.
Thanks for your help.
Old 01-05-2007, 06:50 AM

personally since 1980 .duck huntin and be around dogs and dog handlers i have never seen a golden ret..in a duck blind or a boat or a pit..i dont know a single hunter who owns one ,they were allways the ones on the beach catching frizzbees,bringing your slippers or your newspaper. never thought they were tough enough to actually take the cold water or stealthy ,enough to hang in there.but if you got one ,cool,i can say i know someone .now who does.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.