Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

First time

Old 12-18-2006, 07:37 PM

Default First time

I need a way to occupy my time, my deer hunting chances are running up so ill want something to do over the winter. I chose duck hunting. How effective is it during the winter before and after it snows? Am I going to see anything? What are some good tactics for winter ducks? Also, what type of shotshell should I be using? Ive got 12ga 2 3/4, 1oz, #6 does that work or no? Thanks Guys
Old 12-19-2006, 02:00 AM

Default RE: First time

Waterfowl hunting is highly regulated. Michigan duck season has been closed for 2 weeks,, there is a 2 day mini season dec31 and jan1. This is notthe time of year for a first timer too learn how too duck hunt,, the water is cold andextremely dangerous at this time of year. Only people with alot of experience and proper equipment should be even attempting too make a goof it at this time of year.

I do believe there is some more goose seasons left in Michigan... If you want I can refer you too a guide in Michigan who can get you into a goose blind offering good field hunts. All you would need is your lic, gun, ammo and cold weather clothing.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:30 AM

Sure thats fine, who are the guides?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:43 AM

Delete some messages in your inbox. Its full.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Icedragon: Be advised you can't use lead shot for hunting waterfowl -- this is a federal regulation. Many pre-lead shot ban (circa 1975?) shotgun barrels can be damaged by using steel shot. You can possibly use special shot -- bismuth shot? hevishot? -- in these older shotgun barrels, but you will have to do research on this topic. If your shotgun was manufactured post-ban you should be OK. Even so, using steel shot with a full choke is not recommended, even with current shotgun barrels. Maybe you already know about this, but I thought it was better to spell this out than you possibly damaging a favorite upland gun.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:05 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampTHING

Delete some messages in your inbox. Its full.
deleted, go for it!

ORIGINAL: Alsatian

Icedragon: Be advised you can't use lead shot for hunting waterfowl -- this is a federal regulation. Many pre-lead shot ban (circa 1975?) shotgun barrels can be damaged by using steel shot. You can possibly use special shot -- bismuth shot? hevishot? -- in these older shotgun barrels, but you will have to do research on this topic. If your shotgun was manufactured post-ban you should be OK. Even so, using steel shot with a full choke is not recommended, even with current shotgun barrels. Maybe you already know about this, but I thought it was better to spell this out than you possibly damaging a favorite upland gun.
I did not know all of this, thank you for sharing, I will do research indeed!