Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What is a good duck gun?

Old 12-20-2006, 09:49 AM

Default RE: What is a good duck gun?

I've decided to go with the 870 in camo. I can get one for $298. It has the 28 inch barrel, i want to get a 23" barrel to go with it though. I like the shorter barrels. Where can you get extra barrels at? Also what is a good choke to use for duck?
Old 12-20-2006, 10:00 AM

Extra barrels for that gun can be found in any Bass pro/Cabela/Gander/etc, walk-in or mail order. Any gun shop should have some kind of selection. You've chosen one of the most popular shotguns, finding accesories should not be a problem at all.

I personally like the longer barrel for waterfowl.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:28 PM

Remington 870 won me over....very reliable, its a work horse Get 3 1/2 inch though
Old 12-21-2006, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BAMABUCKHUNTER03

I've decided to go with the 870 in camo. I can get one for $298. It has the 28 inch barrel, i want to get a 23" barrel to go with it though. I like the shorter barrels. Where can you get extra barrels at? Also what is a good choke to use for duck?
Modified is essentially a full choke when using steel.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:40 AM

Went and bought me an 870 last night, full camo 3 1/2".i think this one has the 26" barrel on it. My fiance bought it for me for christmas so she thinks she has to wrap it up so i haven't really got to mess with it a whole lot. Does anyone know what choke comes in it factory?
Old 12-21-2006, 08:31 AM

Most 870's come with a modified choke. They're great guns
Old 12-21-2006, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Doesn't it have choke tubes?

ORIGINAL: BAMABUCKHUNTER03

Went and bought me an 870 last night, full camo 3 1/2".i think this one has the 26" barrel on it. My fiance bought it for me for christmas so she thinks she has to wrap it up so i haven't really got to mess with it a whole lot. Does anyone know what choke comes in it factory?
Old 12-21-2006, 09:31 AM

I got it from Wal-Mart so there guns doesn't come with the extra choke tubes and all. It has one in it but i haven't taken it out to see what it is.
Old 12-22-2006, 06:13 AM

It does have the modified choke. I'm really a big dummy when it comes to chokes in a shotgun. What all is this choke good for? Could someone give me like a list of some of the chokes and what they used for, like what should i use for Turkey,Dove,Duck etc. I'm sorry like i just said i'm dumb when it comes to chokes.
Old 12-22-2006, 08:07 AM

Well, the more common chokes are IC (improved cylinder), MOD (modified), IM (improved Modified), Full, Extra Full.

A IC and Mod pretty much do it all except turkey hunting.
With waterfowl stuff you will be using steel shot....which will make your mod choke behave like a full (or perhaps a IM)

If you wanted to buy one more choke I'd make it an IC, then a turkey choke if that's a season you want to take up. My 870 came with IC, MOD, Full. I've shot clays, squirrels, rabbits, doves, quail, deer, and one duck. IC and MOD have taken most of 'em. Nearly all of them!!! (well...except for the deer. I have a second barrel for that)

Quick Reply: What is a good duck gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.