HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   pass shooting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/161521-pass-shooting.html)

goose caller 10-24-2006 09:27 PM

pass shooting

im sorta new to waterfowling and i was wondering what size choke and shot i should be using. my shots are normally around 25-35 yards. i do pass shooting, i dont use decoys. i have an 870 express in 12 gauge. i will mostly be shooting canadian geese. the mergansers i will be shooting atare out at about 45 yards... thanks in advance!

Deleted User 10-24-2006 10:32 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

goose caller 10-24-2006 10:37 PM

RE: loads and chokes

currently im using IC with T shot. Magnum Man full is too tight of a pattern for steel shot isnt it?

Deleted User 10-25-2006 08:03 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

goose caller 10-25-2006 08:12 PM

RE: loads and chokes

screw in.

KC10Chief 10-25-2006 08:28 PM

RE: pass shooting

Don't shoot steel through a full choke! WTF?!? Use an improved cylinder or modified choke for steel. I find that modified works best for me at just about any distance. For geese, use BB. Any kind of ducks I use #2 shot or #4 shot. #2 works just fine though! Anyways, any gun manufacturer owners manual I've ever looked at says NOT to shoot steel through a full choke! When it comes to guns, follow the manufacturers recommendations.

fantail 10-25-2006 09:37 PM

Here we go again Still gotta cast my vote for the full with #2 that is. Back when I used T shot I always used IC with it. But then again I drink goat milk and like strawberry puddin:D

Have you patterned the T shot yet.

goose caller 10-26-2006 05:32 PM

thnx KC10Chief!

fantail,
no i havent been able to pattern it yet. goat milk?... strawberry pudding?... IM ALL FOR IT MAN! lolz

fantail 10-26-2006 05:55 PM

ORIGINAL: goose caller

thnx KC10Chief!

fantail,
no i havent been able to pattern it yet. goat milk?... strawberry pudding?... IM ALL FOR IT MAN! lolz
Read the full choke and steel shot thread and it will make sense.

goose caller 10-26-2006 08:09 PM

thnx fantail!

anyone else have any advice?

Deleted User 10-26-2006 08:37 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

canis_lupus 11-01-2006 04:41 AM

with geese that close and mergs at that distance id go with a mod choke and #2 for an all around load ... i use 2's on geese all the time ... as far as mergs i would go with the 2 or 4's ..... why dont ya toss out a few dekes and try croakin the mergs in closer .... works for me .... years ago i had alot of people that wanted to hunt hooded mergs (for mounts) so i came up with the idea of usin an old wood duck decoy .... cut a slit on the head and inserted a piece of flat plastic ... a bit of epoxy and sum paint and made a drake hoodie (also weighted the keel) .... worked like a charm !!! just an idea to throw at ya

MinnFinn 11-17-2006 08:12 PM

Pass shooting you're not going to get as many close up shots, so Modified with BB's, as fast a load with as heavy a load as your shogun will shoot. I use BB's on all goose and late season northern ducks in recent years with modified choke. They'll penetrate the heavy feathers and bring them down with a good shot most of the time.

We had lots of opportunity for such shooting over decoys earlier with Canada Giants and later with large flocks of Snows, Blues and Lesser (Cackler) Canadas in ND pass shooting them. We did very well with the combinations I mentioned.