Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

preparing goose breast

Old 10-22-2006, 07:41 PM
Spike

Default preparing goose breast

Hello to all new here and have a ?
hammered 4 nice canadas tothis morn and breasted/legged the geese. As far as letting sit in water before freezeing what is the best and to what proportions?
I have always done a bit of vin but heard salt maybe better.
I will wait to hear
Old 10-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: preparing goose breast

Well I do several things with goose breasts , legs and thighs

The breasts I

Grind and mix 4 parts ,with 1 part ground pork .
Then use the mix to make Patties , meat balls or anything you would use grond beef for .

Cut in 1" cubes , brown and use as the meat in chille or any thing else

Cut acrost the grain and turn into Jerky , I make a mean Spicy Goose Jerky

Thighs

I use as I would chicken ot Turkey thighs

Bread and pan fry or broil .

Legs

I wait till I have enough
Then I slow cook them all day in the crock pot , so the meat falls off the bone .
With onions , chilies Ect

I then sort out the meat from the bones .
I then use it as you would cooked chicken or turkey

Hope this helps , I have 4 racks of Jerky drying right now

Johnch
Old 10-25-2006, 09:32 AM

I don't kill many geese down here is Arkansas, But as far as ducks go. I like to soak them is salt water for a day beforeI freeze them or cook them.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:39 AM

The best way to do it is let them soak in some salt water for a day or so. You cut the breasts up into little chunks- put them in a skillet with butter and onions and a little season salt let them simmer for an hour or so- or until they get real tender. then eat them suckers fast cause once anyone tastes them they won't last long. Use the gravy over some biscuts and thats a meal fit for a king.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:54 PM

cut breast into long thin strips like chicken tenders soak in DALES marinde (1to2hrs.)drain i rub mine with mustard flour them deep fry hot and fast i also cook deer backstrap same way GOOD TO GO! Also i use thighs and legs for brothy stuff like dumplins UM UM GUD!!!! from way down south
Old 11-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Grind or finely dice breast up, brown and added and simmer with chili on low heat for several hours.
I'm no expert on making jerky. But I've made some okay jerky out of sliced breasts. I think the suggestion to first soak for 1 day in salt water, drain and rise with fresh water before marinating in your jerky marinade is right. I've had jerky from a friend that way, which is outstanding.

Also, with fresh goose breasts:
- Fry 1 pound of bacon and save bacon to side.
- In bacon grease lightly fry up slices onions (2) and a cubed bell pepper with a little salt and pepper. Save these off to side with fried bacon.
- Cover the bottom of the same pan with Olive Oil at 300 degrees put in cubed (3/4") goose breast. Season with All Spice, Lawry's seasoning, salt and pepper. Brown them on both sides, but don't over cook them.
- Put the bacon, onions, peppers back in and heat up for another min. or 2.
- Server hot next to steam rice or on buttered dinner rolls with a little more salt, to taste.

Don't let those geese sit too long in the freezer. They're better tasting, if you eat them soon rather than later.

Enjoy!
Old 11-20-2006, 09:13 AM
Spike

Alot of times after getting home I will just rinse the breasts, cut in bite size pieces, and fry em in butter. Maybe with a few green peppers slices if I am getting fancy. Takes about 10-15 minutes.

For something different smoked duck or goose breast is also very tasty. Just soak in salt(Morton Tender Quick) over night, rub on brown sugar, and then put in the smoker. Just under 6 hours the feast begins.

Jeff Matura
www.takeem.com

Old 11-20-2006, 10:56 AM

1. cut into cubes
2. marinate in whatever floats your boat
3. wrap in bacon/ secure with toothpicks
4. slow cook over charcoal, add some wood chips if you like

Good thing to do if you've already got the grill going for burgers/steaks/etc.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:12 AM

One of the chinese guys on our duck club said tht this is an acient chinese secret from the ming dynasty
cut them in to strips and throwem in the pan with some onions and a little duck with little seasoning
Old 12-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

we cut them into little chunks then let the breasts soak in some spedie sauce for a day or so then grill them up

Quick Reply: preparing goose breast

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.