Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Calling Without Decoys

Old 10-19-2006, 11:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Calling Without Decoys

I'd like to do some waterfowl hunting. I don't have any decoys, and at the moment my funds need to go to bills. Is it possible to call the birds in without the aid of decoys? A friend has a hunting area that the birds fly over regularly. I've heard of guys using garbage bags....does this really work?

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-19-2006, 01:08 PM

Default RE: Calling Without Decoys

It is possible but if they are there anyway there is probably no need to call just hide and wait.As for the trash bags we have used them in snow goose spreads before but they were mixed in with shells and full bodies.

I wish you werecloser I would have no problem lending you some for the season.Good luck and watchout because once you get duck/goose fever you won't ever get rid of it!!
Old 10-19-2006, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I did it last weekend after all my dekes were picked up, but birds were everywhere, so that may have accounted for it. My dad has in the past used pop bottles (or similar) painted black and has had ducks come into them. If you can't afford dekes at the moment, and you know some friends who drink pop, this could work for you
Old 10-19-2006, 09:04 PM

I spent alotta time pass shooting when i was a broke highschool student, you dont even need to call, just find a route where the birds fly low on thier way somwhere. if need be you could always jump shoot but its not as fun as watchin em fly in, either way best of luck to you.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldnt call without a spread too much....where do the birds commit to??? You can get set up anymore for 30 bucks with a dozen Hot Buy dekes, at leat use a pair of dekes.....my two cents.....
Old 10-21-2006, 10:20 AM

i Know the cabelas in wisconsin has got mallard hot buys for 10 bux but deff what carp said atleast have 2 dekes.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its been mentioned already.I secondthe idea ..PASS SHOOT.....
Old 10-21-2006, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

cabelas has some Green Head Gear "hot buy" mallard dekes $25 for a dozen. then weights will cost you another $10-12, or you can use string and pop cans filled with gravel or something like that for weights

Old 10-25-2006, 10:48 AM

I have always felt the calling without decoys educates to many birds- they hear birds but don't see any- The more that birds get used to hearing a call the less likely they are to commit. I wouldn't do it- look at yard sales and newspapers people are always trying to get rid of some decoys- Just give em a fresh new paint job and your not out a bunch of $$$
Old 11-01-2006, 05:05 AM

i agree with havin a few dekes out .... but i dont think that callin without dekes will educate birds ..... how many times ya think birds have flown over a marsh and heard other birds and swung over not to see any due to em being in the cattails, brush, etc ?? i know a guy here that used to use black trash bags and kill his share of birds ... so i know for sure that will work ... altho ya may wanna set up down wind from the spread a lil to get em before they get too close and figure out whats goin on .... as far as callin without dekes .... heck man .... if ya cant afford the dekes right now give it a shot ... any day in the field is better than sittin at home wishin ya had dekes to hunt over ..... good luck and let me know how ya do

Quick Reply: Calling Without Decoys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.