HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   A bit frustrated and looking for opinion... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/157046-bit-frustrated-looking-opinion.html)

mustad 09-19-2006 07:51 PM

A bit frustrated and looking for opinion...

I think I've made up my mind on what I'm about to explain, but would really appreciate the opinion from some fellow hunters before I finalize, so here it goes...

Since last spring, my hunting buddy and I have been working on getting ready for opening season. In total, we have pretty much split the costs even steven (I have probably paid a bit more, but they were on things I solely chose to purchase, so on the core things we have shared the costs). Up until yesterday, the expectation was that we were going to head up with our dogs and hunt the weekend. This changed, unbeknowngst to me when he took his step son duck hunting last weekend for a youth weekend. Well, his step son really took to it, and he invited him to come along with us this weekend.

My frustration lies in a couple of areas:

1. Given I took on a great deal of the costs and efforts of getting ready for the season (this includes duck boat, decoys, calls, etc...), I think I should have been consulted prior to any invitation.

2. I personally have never hunted with the stepson, but I do know him. He has been to the range twice, and I question his gun safety skills.

3. I was looking forward to this weekend as a boys trip. Obviously, having a kid along will impact that.

I would assume there are those out there that will see the logic in my frustration and hopefully those that don't. More than either agreeing or disagreeing with my frustrations, I would be very interested as to how you specifically would handle this situation. The options I see at this point are:

1. Just deal with it and hope for the best.
2. Be excited that a youth hunter is coming with us (I'm having a lot of challenges looking at it from this perspective).
3. Don't go.
4. Go, but just go by myself. Split the decoys and gear and hunt by myself.

Thanks for any opinions.

Cheers,

jhtrapper 09-20-2006 03:18 AM

RE: A bit frustrated and looking for opinion...

Have you asked him not to take his step son?, in my opinion this would be completly rude, if you had been planning this weekend for a while which you have it would be wrong to changes plans like that on such short notice. I'm 15 and even if offered I would never barge in on somones plans like that onless EVERY ONE wanted me to come or didn't mind me being there. #1 YES I completly agree, #2, when my uncle was 15 he took one of his freinds out hunting for the first time, ran through the safty measure and his freind did great all through the hunt, never pointed the gun at him, shot in the right direction, ect. well when the hunt was over my uncle let his guard down and his freind shot a hole an inch away from my uncle's knee in the side of the truck. So if I were you I'd be on your toes ALL THE TIME if the son dose come and make sure you run through the safty measures with him and quiz him on it after(to see if he was payin attention), #3 yes, when my dad wants to go fishin with him and his buddy I understand, so yeah. So I would ask your freind not to take him, at least not on the first hunt. It's just rude, just my 2 cents.

SwampTHING 09-20-2006 06:38 AM

You should have been consulted.. but its hard enough getting new recruites into hunting in Canada,, so id bite my tongue and let your buddy know costs of this trip will now be split 3 ways. (not cost of equipment,,, costs of gas, food, fuel, lodging) besides you just got yourself a new retriever, decoy setter and bottle washer! If you dont bring the young guys in to the mix,, there is no future in hunting in Canada.. besdies one day you may need him to do all the work when you become aged!

Carpmaster 09-20-2006 07:10 AM

I am big on taking kids out hunting, BUT this should have been thouroughly discussed with you prior to the decision being made!! I would discuss this with you hunting buddy and express your concerns!

jhtrapper 09-20-2006 03:08 PM

ORIGINAL: SwampTHING

besides you just got yourself a new retriever, decoy setter and bottle washer!
lol

mustad 09-20-2006 04:39 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it.

Cheers,

Blindbound86 09-20-2006 10:50 PM

HEy Mstad i can understand your frustration you should have defenitely been consulted first. however we were all yungsters excited bout goin huntin once and i think the main concern should be safety i took my younger brother huntn his first time and was glad to get him started even though he made some safety mis takes, no mater what you decide to do STAY SAFE!!!

deer-hunter18 09-21-2006 05:57 AM

One more limit you get to shoot!

coloradoprohunter 10-13-2006 05:21 PM

thats rude wat ur friend did. i would just go by myself and to it another weekend

fsulaxer18 10-16-2006 02:59 PM

You should have been asked first, but just go with it. His step son is part of the future of our sport and just make sure that next time it doesn't happen