Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Beretta Xtrema or Rem. 11-87 >

Beretta Xtrema or Rem. 11-87

Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Beretta Xtrema or Rem. 11-87

Old 08-22-2006, 02:13 PM

Default Beretta Xtrema or Rem. 11-87

Hi my grandpa are kinda argueing over which gun to get me. He wants to get me a Rem 11-87 because thats the gun he has. He swears by it. I want the Beretta Xtrema because its just $100 more in price. I think the Beretta is alot better gun then the 11-87. Could Someone give me some input on this im gonna let my grandpa read the post after i get a few replys and make our decision then
Old 08-22-2006, 02:21 PM

Default RE: Beretta Xtrema or Rem. 11-87

hey there grandpa,
yes you are right, the 11-87 is a fine gun and probably wouldn't ever fail you grandson, although if you are willing to spend the extra money for an xtrema then i would highly recommend you do so... i've owned the xtrema for 3 seasons and i have had an 11-87 for almost ten years now. the difference: xtrema is lighter, less recoil, faster cycling action, and it has a painted resin which will help combat against rust... my 11-87 is rusted all along the barrel from duck & goose hunting in the snow and rain. most importantly the xtrema is made in italy where they make the finest autoloading shot-guns it the world!!!
either way you go... you're gonna have a great gun
ps. the xtrema II is even lighter and has even less recoil!!!
Old 08-22-2006, 05:51 PM

Hey Thanks Man im still not showed my grandpa yet. Im gonna wait for a few more replys. Sorry if it was hard to understand what i was saying i typed it fast so i could go out and shoot my bow some before its started raining. How Much did u pay for ure Xtrema 2? He wants to get me something that i can use for Dove, Duck, Turkey, and geese does the Xtrema or Xtrema 2 versatile enough to handle this? I think the one i saw at out pro shop was like $ 1000. Im thinking it was the Xtrema 2 but i didn't look at the gun barrell just picked it up and shouldered it and seen how much it cost. Im hoping he gets the Xtrema 1 or 2 because it just felt better on my shoulder then the 11-87 does. The Xtrema feels more balanced than the 11-87 also. I need as much feed back as i can get the more the better. Thanks
Josh
Old 08-22-2006, 07:00 PM

I haven't shot either but my freinds dad has an 11-87 and it hasn't failed him yet, but if I was getting one I would get the rem becuse I love them, thats all I own (excluding my ruger 10/22), o and I would be happy with what ever he was willing to give you, but thats just me.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:48 PM

last year i had xtrema 1 and loved it never failed me. but i sold it thinking i was going to buy the xtrema 2 but the new 11-87 came out and iwas thinking of getting that. so not really decided on which to get i started shooting my 870 again.....sorry probably not much help
Old 08-22-2006, 09:36 PM
Spike

I just bought an extrema 2 last week. Hav'nt had a chance to shoot it yet but I do love how well balnced it is. I paid 1400$ for mine, so the one you saw must have been the extrema 1. It should handle all your needs that you listed. I hunt doves alot with 12 and 20, and it just comes down to the size shot that you use.
Old 08-23-2006, 04:01 PM

Yea the Extrema 2 runs way more than the 1187. If price is the issue, defineitly the 1187. If price is no issue i would highly reccomend the benelli sbe 2. I currently shhot this gun and it has yet to fail on me. I can't describe how happy i am with this gun, and its around the same price as the extrema 2, if not cheaper. I live in KY and i bought my sbe2 for $1265 and the same shop was sellin the extrema 2 for $1350. Thats my 2 cents but both the 1187 AND the extrema 2 are excellent guns, and both would serve your purpose flawlessly.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:46 AM
Typical Buck

I tried the xtrema out earlier in the summer and absolutely hated it. The fit was all wrong for me, which is consistent with every beretta shotgun I have ever tried. Granted, I could have had the stock modified and a bunch of other things, but with the choices out there, I see no reason to have to make any mods.

What you ought to do is a blind test. Go to a gun shop and with your eyes closed try out a few guns and see which one you think fits better and feels better. That should be your choice... assuming you have a choice. If your grandpa is set on getting you an 11-87 and it's going to make him feel good to do so, then let him. You won't be dissapointed.

Good luck,
Old 08-27-2006, 02:01 PM

Well we went and looked at both guns today and my grandpa was talking to the owner of the store asking about both guns. The owner talked my grandpa into getting a Xtrema 2. We are going to go pick it up tommorow. I could not believe it. He said he didn't know that the Xtrema 2 was such a awsome gun. Im a pretty happy guy right now .
Old 08-27-2006, 04:17 PM

definitely the beretta xtrema. but if i were you i would go with xtrema 2 instead. it is easy to mount a scope, and isalotmore comfortable to shoot 3 1/2 turkey and waterfowl loads. the reason being is because of thelonger reciever and barrel extension. the barrel comes from 24- 28 inches, which also makes the gun live longer because of alot less flexing in the reciever. the reciever is a total 9 3/8 inches long and 2 3/4 inches tall instead of 8 1/8 inches long and 2 5/8 inches tall. also it resisted rust during 150 hours of salt spray testing according to field and stream. and the recoil was barely noticeable with 2 3/4 inch loads. another thing is the trigger is more crisp, lighter, and has less creep. the stock and forearm were also slimmed down which i think would be better for you if you're young. also something about the 11-87 is that i found that the walnut scratches pretty easily and weighs more than the xtrema. good luck

Quick Reply: Beretta Xtrema or Rem. 11-87

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.