HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Homemade Duck Blind (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/149998-homemade-duck-blind.html)

ryanaller 08-01-2006 10:04 AM

Homemade Duck Blind

I'm in the initial phase of buiding a lightweight duck blind. Below is my very rough schematic. I am planning on using 2" pvc, and only gluing the sides together. The 6 foot poles will be capable of coming off for easy transport, and if the wind changes direction.I was thinking of using fast grass on the front and provide a small area for my dog to poke his head out and retrieve when needed. For the sides and back I am debating between a good camo fabric, or some lightweight camo plastics that I may have access to.

One of my concerns is the 6 foot poles might not have enough support in the middle, and might need a brace? Any suggestions or improvements I would love to hear.

Hunter06FlKy 08-01-2006 12:42 PM

RE: Homemade Duck Blind

i think the 6' poles may be a problem in the idea of support. it may be a better idea to split the legth and put another support pole from the bottom to the top.it will add a very small amount of weight but you won't have to worry about your blind sagging or falling apart in wind.

duckhunter669 08-02-2006 08:20 PM

Insert rebar in the poles.3/4 or 1/2 ,or puta cross fitting on the bottom and drive the rebar in the ground with about 2 feet sticking up.Then set the blind on to the post.If inserted in poles it should not add that much weight.Just a thought.

SwampTHING 08-03-2006 03:21 AM

Assuming the width of the blind is 36"(there is no measurement indicated). I would only make the frame for theroof 18" wide but make the material used for the top 36" wide, this way it will hangsdown and can be pulled over the openning when there are incoming birds. It would also allow you too shoot behind and straight up easily.

ryanaller 08-03-2006 06:30 AM

duckhunter669 - Are you talking about ground stakes? I was thinking I could get some rebar and bend it U shape. Then drive the U over the base of the blind to help secure it to the ground?

SwampTHING - Yeah the width will be 36" and you're absolutely right 18" would be much better. Can you think of anykind of material that would be good?

Thank you everyone...I'm looking forward to building this and seeing how well it's gonna work.

SwampTHING 08-03-2006 10:46 AM

We dont hunt portable blinds. We do have 4 blinds that are permanent that we use(made of wood) that are on public land, they are basicly the same size as what you have. Generally we camo the outside with cedar branches and stick some bullrushes in all over.

I have 3 pieces of 1/2 steel wire that are about 5' long and are in a semi circle shape. we push the ends of these rods in to the blind at both ands and the middle,, it forms a dome shape over the blind.

We then throw a camo material over top and staple itat both ends, we then throw alittle bit of natural vegetation on the top. this way it covers the top of the blind and can be pushed forward or backwards depending on bird approach. We take the steel rods with us when we leave,, this way if someone else decides too use the blind they better bring some sort of roof with them or theyre going too have a hard time getting birds too commit. couldnt tell you how many times weve gone back the next day after a good shoot and someone else has watched us tear them up and they are in that blind next day and dont fire a shot.

this is the material we use its that die cut stuff,, this stuff is great because you can see out of it without having too lift a corner.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/vertical-pod3.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20712&rid=&i ndexId=cat601993&navAction=push&navCount=1 &parentType=index&parentId=cat601993&i d=0005729

DUMB BASS 08-03-2006 11:00 AM

Looks like a good idea to me. I used some of that burlap camo printed material on my boat blind, but had the wife sew a cheap black sheet on the back side. Seems to help... Good luck, I'd like to see a pic of your finished project.

waltwittman 08-05-2006 01:25 PM

i would just add some pvc studs every 2' so that it will hold up in the wind and last longer... make sure you get some heavy duty hinges too... you'll need it if you want it to last.

80 proof 08-10-2006 05:05 PM

Ryan

Being from Yukon im guessin the fast grass is a good idea. Just get a couple of pieces and see if they stretch enoughto cover your blind, I dont think you will need anything else. If you concerned about support then try some conduit. If you are looking for a true portable blind then i wouldnt worry about a top for the blind.

speeddemon13 11-11-2007 08:07 PM

I am thinking about making a blind similar to this one, I was just wondering how this blind turned out and if it worked good, i am thinking about using the camo burlap to make the camo around it and put velcro strap from the burlap to the pvc and just take it when I leave