Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Decoys and what size?

Old 07-14-2006, 07:18 PM

Default Decoys and what size?

New to the site and very excited about all the offerings! A few questions,
I am looking at purchasing a few dozen decoys for the upcoming season in Utah. I was hoping to get some suggestions on which species of duck decoy would be best and should I buy more than one species to put out in a spread. Just a little background info - I am hunting small ponds just off of the Great Salt Lake. Which size of duck decoy works best? I have heard many hunters argue both sides life size versus magnum duck decoys. Should I consider buying motion decoys?

The decoy model I seem to like the most so far are the GreenHead dekes. Any suggestions on a good goose silhoutte and how many?

Last question I promise - suggestions on how to set up the duck spread (should I keep each species of duck seperate) and set up on goose silhouttes?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Old 07-14-2006, 08:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Decoys and what size?

I would get regular sizes mallard decoys because no matter the duck they will usally come into them

Old 07-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Fork Horn

I would recommend getting some mallard dekes, and if you have the money go with the magnums, but I dont think that they are terribly important, and I have good luck with the standard size. Also you gotta get some motion in there for the no wind days. The easiest way would be to set up a jerk cord system, and you can make them yourself for cheap. Otherwise you could buy a spinning wing decoy, I have a baby mojo and it works great.

Old 07-16-2006, 08:44 PM
Fork Horn

Most ducks will decoy to mallards. I don't really think regular or magnum makes a whole lot of difference. For goose silhouttes, I would reccomend "Real-Geese". Although I think full bodys are the way to go, Real-Geese look pretty good for silhouttes.