Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Canada Geese & Alfalfa

Old 05-08-2006, 01:36 PM

Default Canada Geese & Alfalfa

I just found out that the corn fields that I goose hunt of are on an off cycle year and have been planted with alfalfa and will be for the next few years. Two fields near the ones I hunt (3/4 of a mile by car) will still be corn but the rest will be alfalfa. My question is will geese drop into alfalfa fields when there are cornfields available too? Anyone with experience hunting geese out of alfalfa fields with any tips would be much appreciated.
Old 05-09-2006, 06:05 PM

Default RE: Canada Geese & Alfalfa

i have a minor wild life bio. degree and i do know that waterfowl eat all sorts of grasses.

the real questions: will alfalfa be available during your hunt?
will the few corn fields be packed with geese therefore push more in-coming geese to other areas?
do the alfalfa fields provide water and/or are near some sort of refuge?
maybe this situation will give a better hunt because the birds may funnel to just the corn fields?

there's lots to consider. hope this gives a starting point to ponder.
Old 05-10-2006, 07:39 AM

It does, thanks . This a place where I really nail geese during the early September season. I can’t remember ever getting skunked and there have been a few times my whole party shot their limit in juts a few hours. I’m just worried that I won’t be able to call them away from the pockets of corn though. I’ve got 72 mixed decoys that I can put out to give them comfort and the fields are near a good size lake. Any other tips anyone can give would be great.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:22 PM

The alfalfa field we hunt isn't nearly as productive as the corn around it, but when the migration is rolling hard the alfalfa is actually easier to decoy to. Not really sure why, perhaps there is just more pressure in the corn.