Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Do I need better shells?

Old 09-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by blakefrautschi
you just need to shoot them again if they're still moving, or if their head "pops up" it happens sometimes, it's the most ethical thing to do if they're wounded to finish them off.
but also try something different, if it is really happening that often, no matter who is shooting or what they are shooting there will always be a few cripples. always make sure they are dead before they even get a chance to dive.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Spike

You've gotten alot of advice and most of it sounds pretty good. The patterning of your load, knowing what it will do at known distances out of your gun with certain chokes, etc is all good to know. If the pattern isn't consistent, you definitely need to look at changing loads. Also, if you shoot at birds at various distances, and not all your opportunities are at decoying birds at 25-30yds, then you might want to look at going to something like HeviShot, or HeviMetal. Steel density doesn't change regardless of how fast you push it, so it still needs to have enough lethal energy once it hits the target to penetrate as well. I personally shoot more HeviMetal than HeviShot because its cheaper and gives me good pattern density out to 45-55 yds. That's far enough for me, and I kill birds at those distances. If I get cripples, its because of my aim and where I hit the bird, not because of lack of penetration. Good luck and good hunting.
Old 09-22-2011, 05:42 AM
Typical Buck

Do you guys ever look at the post dates? The guy asked the question 5 1/2 years ago. He's probably figured it out by now.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:45 AM
Spike

I was wondering the same thing!!
Old 09-30-2011, 08:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

How do you see when a post is started ?
Old 10-03-2011, 04:19 PM
Spike

Agreeably, the mentions of practice are solid advice, but we all owe our quarry practice every year before we head to the marsh, field, or woods. It ensures that our equipment is still functioning correctly, and knocks any rust off our abilities that may have developed during those periods of too much work, not enough play. If you are getting good hits, and still only crippling birds, range could be an issue when using steel. You can obviously try to wait for birds to get closer, but depending on where you're hunting, how educated the birds have become, etc. sometimes make that easier said than done. I personally have literally shot the feathers off a wood duck hen and stopped her in flight and then watched as she flew off crippled because of steel. I now shoot nothing but HeviShot or HeviMetal. HeviMetal is comparable in price to Blackcloud, Blindside, and other premium steel shot but it has half a load of HeviShot in it so I get better pattern density and the lethality of denser shot at longer ranges. Of course, you'll need to pattern to test your gun/choke combo, but I'd recommend giving it a try.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Fork Horn

after you hit them pound them on the water.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:33 AM
Fork Horn

may want to try new shells as well as practice, bit upgrade the shells your using.

1625 FPS 3 1/2 inch are available.........called "Snow Goose" by Black Cloud.

Choke setup is really essential.

Also gives you confidence in th gun.

Simply place cardboard LIFESIZE rough cut outs of a duck, staple to a stick or something, walk them out 15, 25, 35 yards and shoot them. Even try a couple at 45, and 55 yards to see WHATS REALLY HAPPENING and how little shot is hitting them.....EVEN FIXED IN ONE SPOT !

If this doesn't work, I know a fine Chinese restaurant that has the best duck !
Old 10-06-2011, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by psandhu
Do you guys ever look at the post dates? The guy asked the question 5 1/2 years ago. He's probably figured it out by now.
That's funny because I was just thinking the same thing.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:35 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Well I hope he became a better shot.

Its not the shell its the shooter!

JW

Quick Reply: Do I need better shells?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.