Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Do I need better shells?

Old 03-09-2006, 07:16 AM

Default RE: Do I need better shells?

I had a box of those exact shells I used for openner last year.. I got the same performance you are talking about, absolutely dead centerring birds in the shot pattern and they werestill flying off!!!Ive hunted ducks for 20 years,, im no rookie at this game,, all shots were under 30 yards and the performance was horrible!!

I cut one open and looked at the innards,, shot inside was of low quality(you could actually peel them open) and had low amounts of fine gun powder. Cut open a fasteel shell, excellent shaped shot and larger size and more gun powder in them. Try some 3" 1-1/8 oz #2's at 1560 fps of Kent Fasteel,, you will immediately notice the difference! TAIL, BODY, BEAK, BOOM,,,DEAD BIRD!

If you have too waterswat crip's I suggest you buy a box of #4 or 6's for this,, they do a much better job of finishing off crip's.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Spike

If your gun is capible of using 3 1/2 inch shells i highly recomend picking some up. I use 3 1/2 inch 3's out of my benelli nova it lays birds down pretty well.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

You need to pattern your gun to know which ammo & choke combination works best at which distances !

...........then it helps to hit them in the head. LOL

Shoot some 5 Stand or Sporting clays for practice.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

That is why I always shoot #1 or BB when I go duck hunting. And I am going to agree with let them get closer if you are going to only shoot #2 shot. With BB I can regularly reach out and touch them at greater distances. When I shoot #2 shot I have to let them get closer or I will get the same results that you do. Thats my 2 cents anyways.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

West,

I'm happy to see that you are putting those coyotes down !

Nice Avatar !!!
Old 09-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Fork Horn

Thank you and that is just one of many that we killed this year. In a one week period my brother me and a friend killed 14 coyotes off of a neighbors horse that died. It was a blast but the sad thing is that their are a lot more of them out there.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I almost like shooting coyotes more than game now !

Especially spot & stalk hunts !

Yea, still like call'in them in too.

I'm sorry Hunter - 98% of the misses are behind

Doesn't mater; #4's, #2's or BB's will fold them if you hit them in the head & neck (their feathers are armor plated-LOL) !

Last edited by Sheridan; 09-06-2011 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

Pattern your gun and if need be make adjustments. But also practice shooting and get them duck in closer.
Old 09-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Try and shot shells that have the same speed as what you are used to when shooting traps.
Next when you try them on paper select the heaviest shot that gives you the densest pattern.Having the shots close enough so the head would get at least 2 pellets every time is good.
Then on the range at 30-40yards shoot at a 1/4-1/2 inch plywood. If it goes through this at that yardage it will kill ducks.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

you just need to shoot them again if they're still moving, or if their head "pops up" it happens sometimes, it's the most ethical thing to do if they're wounded to finish them off.

Quick Reply: Do I need better shells?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.