Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
 Anyone see ducks or geese do bizarre things? >

Anyone see ducks or geese do bizarre things?

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Anyone see ducks or geese do bizarre things?

Old 02-06-2006, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Anyone see ducks or geese do bizarre things?

yes, more than once i saw my dad and another partner pull up and shoot at ducks and geese... and kill them
..then i tried it and it didnt work to well
Old 02-11-2006, 08:37 PM

My dad and i had a goose fly down the check 15feet of the ground while we were unloading our guns at it only having him hook around in to the front of the blind and eating my 20 gauge 2's. 6 shots for one bird.
Old 02-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

im not sure i like to hear that
Old 02-21-2006, 11:46 AM

Saw my buddy shoot the head off clean of a wounded hen mallard that was hiding in the cattails. He couldn't find the head that morning, but out of curiousity I looked for it and found it before the afternoon hunt.

The other was a goose that landed in a field behind the cattails we where hunting in. I guess he finally heard our calling to other geese and decided to fly into our field. Crazy thing is that he flew about 10 feet of the ground just over the cattails we were hunting and flew right in between me and my buddy. 5 feet lower and five feet over either way and he would have flown right into one of us - scared the hell out of us. It was basically a matter of who had there gun closer and who could draw faster.

Old 02-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

I was field hunting last fall with a mix of full body goose decoys, silos and full body duck decoys. I shot a drake mallard and went to retrieve it while I was out of my blind I heard geese honking. My partners are yelling at me to get down so I crouch down and am perfectly still. The flock of eight lock on and come in for final approach. The guys start gunning them and knock down 4 geese. One bird flares off and then does a U-turn and banks into the decoys and lands about 5 feet from where I am crouched. I am yelling to make sure the other guys do not shoot. I stand up and the goose is caught totally by surprise. Instead of flying it hunkers down like it can hide from me. Finally it takes flight and I let it keep on flying. Coolest thing I have seen.

Nemont
Old 02-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Would a Woodduck landing on the log next to my lab count ?
I was hunting some flooded timber this fall when I had a woodduck try toland 6 - 12" from my lab on a fallen log .
Needless to say I didn't need to shoot that duck .
He just walked down the log to me to finish the retreive .

Johnch
Old 02-24-2006, 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: johnch

Would a Woodduck landing on the log next to my lab count ?
I was hunting some flooded timber this fall when I had a woodduck try toland 6 - 12" from my lab on a fallen log .
Needless to say I didn't need to shoot that duck .
He just walked down the log to me to finish the retreive .

Johnch

lol! He was tired of being alive!
Old 02-27-2006, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

I have seen them do wierd things it the water and fully healthy,sometimes i have seen them run back and forth on top of the water and at the end of their run they do a summersault and run in the opposite direction again, sometimes keeping this up for 5-10 minutes. However I DO NOT SHOOT THEM IN THE WATER!! so dont think im sneeking up on themto whack them when they are "playing".
Old 02-27-2006, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

One morning we splashed a greenhead and he hit the water right at the curve of the J in my dekes, The dog jumped as soon as the duck hit the water, after several minutes of him swimming around and no duck we decided to take the boat out. Called the dog back, rowed out to the decoys and still couldn't see him. After about maybe 10 min. we found him holding on to the weeds under water, touched him with an oar and he floated to the top.
Another morning we had about six mallards come storming in and layed into them, one just dropped out of the sky right in to our blind. My hunting buddy reached out to catch him and broke his wrist when the duck hit him (to this day he has no idea why he did that).
Old 02-28-2006, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

On a goose shoot last year a small flight of honkers made a few passes over our spread, but they wouldn't finish. On what turned out to be the last pass, one honker in the middle, hit the brakes and dropped feet first like he was in an elevator, hitting two geese in way down and landedin the decoy spread. We let him walk around for a few minutes before wescared him back up. I don't remember if he flew away or got shot.

On a field shoot for ducks we had a flock of Pintails come in while we were picking up the decoys. It was getting dark, and the robo-duck was still flapping. They flew 2 ft over my head and almost landed a few feet in front of the truck. They had to have seen us, but since we hadn't shot for a while, I figure they felt safe enough to come in.