HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Waterfowl Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting-7/)
-   -   Ain't cut out for waterfowl (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/waterfowl-hunting/124872-aint-cut-out-waterfowl.html)

bigcountry 12-13-2005 01:31 PM

Ain't cut out for waterfowl

Holy, cow, it like a greek tragedy today on the Cheasapeake bay. Went out this morning, and put out the decoys. Water was so shallow, I kept bumping up my motor and cutting it out. Winds started wipping up, and waves got to 2ft. Takin in about 4" of water in the boat. The whole floor of the boat and front was ice after a while. No birds, but seen all the bluebills and buffleheads in the distance skirting us. Tide went out real fast, and I couldn't get the boat on shore for about 50 yards. Drove the entire truck and trailer in the bay up to the frame and pulled the boat out. Man this bay duck hunting sucks.

I envy you guys with a nice blind or nice land to hunt.

quackhead04 12-13-2005 07:39 PM

RE: Ain't cut out for waterfowl

man that sounds rough. i live inland so i've never hunted somewhere like that but it sounds pretty bad. i hunt rivers and it gets pretty rough but i dont think ive ever took in 4" of water in the boat.

DUCKANDBUCKHUNTERMAN 12-14-2005 09:43 AM

WOW, THATS SOUNDS REALLY ROUGH. I HUNT PONDS, LAKES, RIVERS, AND MARSHES. TRY THAT ITS ALOT EASER KINDA. LOTS OF MUD GOTA LOVE MUD. MUD MUD MUD MUDDY MUD MUD I LOVE MUD. WELL EXCEPT WHEN I GET IT IN MY PANTS AND PARKA. THAT SUCKS.

bigcountry 12-14-2005 12:51 PM

Since I moved to MD, I have found that land and hunting spots are a premium. Everything is leased and bought up. Kinda drives me crazy, but what do ya do. Only place public to go is the swamps on the eastern shore, which is good early season, and the bay.

Now thats not all of it. Just to get a spot on the bay, you have to stand in line half a day for this lottery and pick you spots along the waterfront, which is over 70% taken up to begin with cause landowners have first crack at picking it so you can't hunt there. I did that over the summer just to get this crummy spot.

I am so jealous of you guys going into a nice blind or field.

bigcountry 12-14-2005 01:20 PM

You know looking at all these pictures, I just can't believe it. And that guy Nemont, goodness gracious if I had that season, I might consider quiting deer hunting. I am so jealous.

quackkillz 12-14-2005 01:45 PM

Sounds like a blast. I would be out there all day probably if I had a day like you!!

Rebel Dog 12-14-2005 03:30 PM

What would really suck is if you weren't able to do it anymore??? Tomarrow is another day, I live by you and have hunted Tangier Island, Chicoteague Sussex it's tough but fun.

80 proof 12-15-2005 01:53 AM

Sounds like if your gonna hunt the big waters your gonna need a bigger boat, Im guessin your huntin out of a small boat if the 2 ftrs are a problem. Dont know much about the tides but sounds like some type of shortail mudmotor would do since you have to go thru some bigger water. But if you dont like it when the huntin tough find a new hobby.

bigcountry 12-16-2005 08:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Dog

What would really suck is if you weren't able to do it anymore??? Tomarrow is another day, I live by you and have hunted Tangier Island, Chicoteague Sussex it's tough but fun.
I thought about that one day while deer hunting. I had bad luck last year, and was so depressed. but it dawned on me, I bet a few guys out there disabled would love to just be able to go out in the yard and target practice with the bow, never mind hunt.

Rebel dog, I looked into hunting Assateague. Do you know anything about it?

bigcountry 12-16-2005 10:40 AM

ORIGINAL: quackkillz

Sounds like a blast. I would be out there all day probably if I had a day like you!!
Why? Ducks weren't decoying in 2ft waves. Why be out there all day?