Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

freshman waterfowl hunter

Old 12-08-2005, 02:18 PM

Default freshman waterfowl hunter

Alright looking for a little help. I have been duck hunting in Oklahoma about 4 times in the past 2 weeks.We have been hunting from shore. All we can get to come in is wood ducks. My questions are

1. What pattern do you set decoys up in? (U, S shaped)
2. We have mallard decoys and a MOJO wing spinner. What all birds have a chance to land by those decoys?
3. I have a Primos Yo Sista call. It doesn't turn the heads like I think it should. What do you use?
4. To get the geese do you have to be in an open field of will the land on a bank of a lake. Do you have to get geese decoys or will they land with ducks? NEED HELP WITH THE BASICS
Old 12-08-2005, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: freshman waterfowl hunter

To answer your questions:

1.) Honestly, we usually just throw out decoys out in a random blob. U and S shapes both work, but you have to set them up according to the way the wind is blowing.

2.) All the birds have a chance to land by the Mojo's and dekes. There's gotta be room for em, that's why the U works good. There's space for them to land. Also, if you shoot at them while they're not cupped up and landing, you'll never have a single duck light in the dekes. Let em come on in. It makes your odds better for killing and it's more of a challenge.

3.) I use almost all cheap calls. Some Echo's are cheap. I got both of mine from Wal-Mart and I like the way they sound. I got the single and double reeds. Actually, it's probably more of your calling that's not turning ducks than it is the call.

Not slamming ya. I have the same problem. All of my calls work magic in other people's hands, but when they're in mine, it's hard to get ducks to come in. Keep practicing.

4.) I have hunted geese a few times. It's a blast. We set up a dozen goose silos by the bank of a sleugh (slew? slough?). We ended up having many come over low, but few landed in the dekes.

When it comes to geese, I think the more dekes the better. Flooded fields of fields nearby any source of water should work for you.

--Hope I helped some.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Keep trying and call conservatively and read the birds....Good luck, persistence will pay off!!
Old 12-09-2005, 10:00 AM

I USE A DUCK COMMANDER CALLS. THEY WORK WONDERS. I USALLY SET UP IN A U SHAPE AND SOMETIMES A W SHAPE.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:37 AM

Practice your calling...this is very important. I have a Yo Sista' too, and am not particularly crazy about it. It seems a bit high-pitched, although I think it is ok for those high-flyin' birds. Once they're circling, I have a cheap Duck Commander that sounds just like the real thing.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:48 AM

The fact your getting so many wood ducks maybe the area your hunting. I tend to see more mallards near open areas (such as fields) with water near them.

Like the others have said practice reading the ducks. Do not call them when they appear to be looking towards you. Movement such as moving your hands on the call can kill you.

Maybe the mojo is the problem. My buddy tells me his works for ducks but throw a goose mojo in for the geese and it flares the geese. Also experiment with the number of decoys. If the ducks are being shot at alot you may need more decoys. Throw a goose floater or 2 or 3 in your spread for size and confidence.

Froman also has a good point. You need to work the wind. This is big with geese. A couple decoys facing the wrong way can flare them instantly.

hope this helps
Old 12-17-2005, 12:19 PM

im not sure about there but here the gesse are programed to get somewhere every day so you need to intersept them. the only time you get a shot at them duck hunting is when some1 kicks them up and they fly over you. the goose decoys will help them get a little closer for a shot just to seal the deal but they normally dont land where i hunt which is connecticut
Old 12-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have to agree with everyone. Keep practicing!!! I blow a Bill Suanders duck and goose call.. They are spendy but worth it. But you have to start somewhere. As far as decoying from shore I like to set up in two family groups. With a landing hole in the middle. And yes geese will land in you duck decoys. Look at this decoy spread.. Use your imagination!
Wind Blowing ->>>>>

dddd d dd d d
d ddd dd d dddd ddd
d d dddddd d ddddddd
ddd d dddd ddd ddd dd
d dd dddd ddd d d d d d
d d d d d d d d d
d d d d d d

ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssBlindsssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssss