Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Handwarmers? Need Help...

Old 11-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Spike

Default Handwarmers? Need Help...

Hi,

My name is Matthew Schuman and I am a senior at Carthage College in Kenosha, WI. I am currently working on a final project that entails writing a complete business plan for brining a patented object to market. My patent involves a heat storage material, and as I am an avid outdoorsman, I thought a new handwarmer would be fitting. The new handwarmer would last significantly longer than most on the market and is resusable.

I was just wondering if you could possibly answer some questions for me. First, do you use handwarmers, and if so how often? What do you like about them? What don’t you like about them? What is one thing you would change? If you don’t use them, why not? How long do you need them to last for?

If you could give me any feedback, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Matthew
Old 11-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

I don't use them much. Usually use them more often in deep winter on ski trips, as opposed to hunting or fishing.

I prefer a small, slimline single use warmer that will fit easily inside my gloves.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mschuman88

First, do you use handwarmers, and if so how often?
Yes I do, and often every time I duck or deer hunt when the temperatures are below about 35 degree F.

What do you like about them?
They keep my hands warm while keeping my hands free of gloves (generally) to manipulate small parts, shoot the gun more comfortably, and use a duck call.

What don’t you like about them?
They tend to be a bit bulky sometimes. They aren't waterproof. They aren't reusable. Fortunately they are fairly cheap.

What is one thing you would change?
As you hit upon... I'd like them to last longer.

How long do you need them to last for?
I often duck hunt in the morning, and deer hunt in the afternoon. I'd like to be able to get a good, honest, full day of service (at least) out of them. I typically seal them up during the warmer parts of the day, and use them again in the PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:59 AM
Spike

I always carry them with me even if i wont use them. might be better if they got warmer quicker. maybe a little slimmer love how long they last
Old 11-18-2009, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I assume you are fishing for desirable characteristics for your handwarmer. One such desirable characteristic would be scent neutrality. While current generation handwarmers do not emit a scent, old generation handwarmers -- which WERE reusable -- had a scent, the scent of lighter fluid. Thus, having a reusable handwarmer that was also scent neutral would be good.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:55 PM
Banned

Finishing college myself, so here it goes...

First, do you use handwarmers, and if so how often?
Yes, the disposable type but usually only when its in the 30's and I'm sitting for long periods.

What do you like about them?
They are convenient and cheap.

What don’t you like about them?
Wish they would get a little hotter sometimes. It seems if I open them when its pretty cold, they never get warm.

What is one thing you would change?
the worst part is when you put them in your gloves, they tend to get in the way. The gloves that are made for them have a pocket in the back, but it doesnt do much good. If there was a way to make the head conductive to palm and fingers, you may have something.

As far as lasting goes, I'd say 6 hours.

Good luck, hope to be reading about your project in Cabelas!!!