Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Waterfowl Hunting
What kinda of decoys do i need?? >

What kinda of decoys do i need??

Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

What kinda of decoys do i need??

Old 10-06-2002, 04:28 PM

Default What kinda of decoys do i need??

i hunt on a river. The river has Mallards , Wood Ducks , Geese , some cavasbcks , some pintail ect. I am going to buy a dozen of mallrd decoys here real soon. What kind of ese decoys shoul i buy for decoying these kinda o duck??? And can bluebills decoy all these dcks well. thanks foryalls help ??
Old 10-06-2002, 05:37 PM

Default RE: What kinda of decoys do i need??

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
i hunt on a river. The river has Mallards , Wood Ducks , Geese , some cavasbcks , some pintail ect. I am going to buy a dozen of mallrd decoys here real soon. What kind of ese decoys shoul i buy for decoying these kinda o duck??? And can bluebills decoy all these dcks well. thanks foryalls help ??
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote> hi stateline outdoors waterfowl guides here out of Wisconsin . I hunt many different places. like the rock river it is just like what you are describing to us. if you can't afford alot then flambeau are ok. but g&h are the best buy for your money. they have moveable heads for different poses. you can mix and match your decoys by 1/2 dozen or a dozen at a time. you do not need a lot of decoys for the river. but you do need a variety of them. a 1/2 dozen of each is just fine for the river. good luck hunting this season

stateline outdoors

Edited by - stateline outdoors waterfowl guides on 10/06/2002 18:45:07
Old 10-06-2002, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

I've had every duck imaginable decoy into mallards and consistenely to. Later in the year we put the mallards away and hunt big water or somtimes smaller sloughs and use Bluebills, redheads and cans and like wise as with the mallards everything decoys into them. Granted me personally I like a little variety in my spread like 1 dozen mallards 3-4 spoonies, 8 teal, 5 woodies, 3 pins, and about 5 -7 widgeon but if you don't have to I wouldn't spend the money on much variety. I'd spend more on larger quantities of bluebills, and reds with only about 6 or so cans. Mallards should do you just fine. Actually I've had more bluebills come into mallard decoys than into bluebills and can decoys.

Wait, wait, ready PLUG EM!!!!!
Old 10-13-2002, 03:23 PM
Fork Horn

1-3 dozen mallard decoys will work for most puddle ducks. Some of those decoys can be wigeon, teal, pintail, gadwall etc. If you have canvasbacks and other divers coming in 2-4 dozen bluebill decoys added to your mallards should work. Make sure you put the mallards closer to shore, and the bluebills farther out, with some of them in a string leading to the landing/shooting zone. Check the prices at Herter's, Cabela's and Bass Pro on the web. You can probably buy cheaper at a retail store, because you don't have to pay shipping.

T.R. Michels, guide, outdoor writer

T.R. Michels