Community
Waterfowl Hunting Receive the benefit of experienced duck and goose hunters in this waterfowl forum.

Eastern South Dakota

Old 10-11-2005, 05:50 PM

Default Eastern South Dakota

I'm currently a college student at South Dakota State University. I've been out a few times, with limited success. I think i need to go out in the morning sometime before class. I've heard the mornings around Brookings have been awesome. Well i was just wondering if anyone was from around the Brookings area.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Eastern South Dakota

Not from there but morning are usually the best!!!
Old 10-12-2005, 12:36 PM

Im at northern state in aberdeen and i have been doing awesome in the mornings, i go out scouting quite a bit in the afternoons and the birds are out in the afternoon. Gl with your hunting hopefully some more birds will be on the way soon
Old 10-17-2005, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I graduated from SDSU a few years ago. Mornings are the only time to hunt waterfowl in that area in my opinion. Scout in the evenings, setup an smoke'm in the mornings. Yes, it is an awesome area to hunt, just prepared to get turned down on permission down there ALOT.
Old 10-19-2005, 08:27 AM

We've been running into more and more posted land in N Dakota too but if we make it clear to the land owners that we are only hunting ducks and geese we generally don't have a problem getting permission. Seems like the Dakota residents are more protective of their pheasants and deer then their waterfowl.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:41 AM

I haven't even bothered with private land, just been going to waterfowl production areas in the local area. There an older kid that i'll be hooking up to go hunting wtih and he usually shootsa bunch. we just need some days other than the tall blue skies. the weather sucks.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:08 PM

Bassman,
I go to school at SDSU. I hunt a lot. Have been having good success before class. All you need to do is SCOUT! The more money you put in the tank the more ducks you put on the grill.